Author Topic: Bought a 65(?) EB-3  (Read 12324 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Bought a 65(?) EB-3
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2016, 12:49:22 AM »

What about the Hipshot? The two point Supertone (.pdf) shows 3.265" -- and yet two of the three customer reviews for it mention using it on '71s. I'm confused.

At any rate, there's the issue of the bar bridge posts, which aren't quite on a parallel. Didn't someone here a few years back mention using a two-point Supertone on those posts?

I used a two point supertone on my fretless 1967 EB0 project a couple of years ago, there was no modification needed regarding the offset - one of the post holes is oblong/adjustable. The post screws must be modified though, if you are to use the original screws/posts.

But I can´t see that the bar bridge does a bad job of intonating the bass; i bought the supertone because I had no bridge for my project - and original bar bridges (at the time) was far between and silly priced!

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2016, 05:14:34 AM »
I used a two point supertone on my fretless 1967 EB0 project a couple of years ago, there was no modification needed regarding the offset - one of the post holes is oblong/adjustable. The post screws must be modified though, if you are to use the original screws/posts.

But I can´t see that the bar bridge does a bad job of intonating the bass; i bought the supertone because I had no bridge for my project - and original bar bridges (at the time) was far between and silly priced!

I have the bridge all the way as far as it can go towards the pickups and the lower strings are a little flat up the neck, gets worse as you go up. If I had  1/8" more it would probably be OK. I had thought of using a round file but don't really want to screw it up. I don't have the action super high either. What are the post screws? Do you have a photo of the bridge? That would make it a little more clear for me.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2016, 05:16:43 AM »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2016, 06:25:02 AM »
I spoke with hipshot once about the offset of the bar bridge.  I believe they developed a version with a set screw that allows use of the bridge with the level or offset bolts.  Call them -  they will clear this up for you.

Is this the one you're talking about?

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=326

Aha! I didn't look closely enough at the pic on Hipshot's website and it's not that apparent because of the angle of the shot. Obviously they have redesigned  the holes since the image posted in that 2009 thread. The left hole is oblong now so it will fit either the bar bridge or the later two-point.

That's the one, Bob. You can get the two-point Supertone for less than list price from several eBay sellers. See this one, it's easy to see that the left hole is really a slot. Not sure if it will get your action exactly where you want it, but at least you ought to be able to get it closer.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2016, 06:49:02 AM »
Here's an old thread from Jules' forum where some guy named Granny Gremlin says the 460 is 3.25"

Yeah - I was rounding to the nearest quarter (seriously, who the hell want's to deal with 32nds?)

The 460 has super long set screws to adjust for any offset. You can see them in the pics.

Was not aware that there was a 2 point supertone.  Looks less obtrusive than their 3 point replacement (why did someone put one on an RD - the mind boggles).  I am still not a fan of the design however; the way they do it it is too easy to crank it down and make an imprint in the body; a shame on a 60s EB3.  It will go lower than a 460 tho (the saddles are pretty tall).  There are ways to get the 460 lower.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:03:34 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2016, 07:53:14 AM »
Aha! I didn't look closely enough at the pic on Hipshot's website and it's not that apparent because of the angle of the shot. Obviously they have redesigned  the holes since the image posted in that 2009 thread. The left hole is oblong now so it will fit either the bar bridge or the later two-point.

That's the one, Bob. You can get the two-point Supertone for less than list price from several eBay sellers. See this one, it's easy to see that the left hole is really a slot. Not sure if it will get your action exactly where you want it, but at least you ought to be able to get it closer.

The action's good Dave, it's the intonation that's off a little bit, little bit flat on the E,A and D, when you go up on the neck, and I just bought that bridge, I kind of hate to put a shiny new bridge on it but hate flat high notes even worse.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:19:13 AM by bobyoung »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2016, 06:53:27 PM »
The action's good Dave, it's the intonation that's off a little bit, little bit flat on the E,A and D, when you go up on the neck, and I just bought that bridge, I kind of hate to put a shiny new bridge on it but hate flat high notes even worse.

Google "aging chrome guitar hardware" and you'll get a lot of hits. I wouldn't do it, though.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
Google "aging chrome guitar hardware" and you'll get a lot of hits. I wouldn't do it, though.

I lowered the action and the intonation is better, I might sit on that new bridge for a while before installing it because I really like the looks of it now. It should be in today or tomorrow.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »
OK, I got the bridge and just had to try it out, very easy to put on and it actually works very well. It came almost intonated already. The most apparent thing is that the E string sounds better, it's more even with the other strings and the middy sound of it isn't as loud as before and they all play in tune all the way up the neck. I didn't tighten it down too much. I'm not crazy about how it looks, the old one just looks right, this one is shiny chrome and is pretty big compared to the bar bridge, but it sounds and plays better, nice to be able to individually set the string heights too. I haven't played with the side placement yet on it although i just noticed that there is more of a space between the E and A than the A and D and even less between the D and the G on the nut. When my wife gets home next week I'll take a picture and post it. The bridge is fairly heavy but I don't notice it playing the bass, does nothing for the neck dive either. All in all it's a pretty big improvement in the playability department.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2016, 06:18:40 PM »
I love happy endings.  :)

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2016, 02:54:17 AM »
OK, I got the bridge and just had to try it out, very easy to put on and it actually works very well. It came almost intonated already. The most apparent thing is that the E string sounds better, it's more even with the other strings and the middy sound of it isn't as loud as before and they all play in tune all the way up the neck. I didn't tighten it down too much. I'm not crazy about how it looks, the old one just looks right, this one is shiny chrome and is pretty big compared to the bar bridge, but it sounds and plays better, nice to be able to individually set the string heights too. I haven't played with the side placement yet on it although i just noticed that there is more of a space between the E and A than the A and D and even less between the D and the G on the nut. When my wife gets home next week I'll take a picture and post it. The bridge is fairly heavy but I don't notice it playing the bass, does nothing for the neck dive either. All in all it's a pretty big improvement in the playability department.

So you don´t need that silly old bridge. Ship it to me :)