Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

74-75 PRINTED tort guards

(1/4) > >>

ilan:
So nothing made today looks remotely like vintage Fender tort. Most aftermarket tort guards are wrong and pretty ugly, too brown or too red, including what Fender puts on their Custom Shop basses. Some Spitfire torts are nice - especially what they call Vintage Burgundy - but are very expensive.

Why not replicate Fender's last tort guards before switching to b/w/b - the printed guards they used in 74/75? They are easily identifiable by the symmetry line(s) somewhere in the pattern and up close you can see actual pixels, but they still looked much better than what Fender and other manufacturers offer today.

Alanko:
I once bought a printed tort guard from a seller in Singapore. It was expensive and not very impressive. I don't think it looked like Fender '70s tort, however.

There is a new guy called 'Lavaguard' who makes tort pickguards which look a lot like vintage '60s tort. Arguably better than Spitfire and apparently cheaper.

I've been through a lot of tort guards but never wanted to pay Spitfire prices for a sheet of plastic. I've chucked in the towel and gone with a black one on my P Bass!

ilan:
B/W/B always looks good. For white/rosewood I'd opt for black even if I had real vintage tort.

--- Quote from: Alanko on March 05, 2023, 02:05:02 AM ---There is a new guy called 'Lavaguard' who makes tort pickguards which look a lot like vintage '60s tort. Arguably better than Spitfire and apparently cheaper.

--- End quote ---

Wow, this looks amazing.

Dave W:
^^^

That does look good, for tort. Personally, though, I'd choose black over tort every time.

OldManC:

--- Quote from: Alanko on March 05, 2023, 02:05:02 AM ---

--- End quote ---

This the P I lust over. I could do maple or rosewood fingerboard and be just as happy. My bass mentor in High School (I, a lowly Sophomore and he, a cool worldly Senior playing bass in both the marching and Jazz bands) had one just like the above. To this day I love that combo. I bought a Japanese 70s P like that a few months back, but it did nothing for me (sound wise), so I sold it on. One day...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version