Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

Fender GoldFoil

(1/5) > >>

Chris P.:
First I thought: No, just no. After a week I thought: quite interesting, and now I like it a lot! Bindings, but no blocks, lollipops, matching headstock, one pickup. The blue one that is.

morrow:
Back in the day there were quite a variety of pickups with similar foil covers , some sounded great , and many didn’t . And when the Japanese began to copy them they continued the tradition , and put out a considerable number of very so-so foil covered pickups , and some that were serious beauties.
Now many of the foils being made today are truly boutique pickups that have been lovingly crafted by expert hands (unlike many of the originals and many Japanese copies) Even DeArmond put out quite different pickups under similar foil covers. They were not all magic.
These have the cool factor Darkstars and BiSonics have had in the past. They’ll sell a pile of ‘em.

gearHed289:
Man, that sure looks like a Rickenbacker pickup with gold foil on the top. Not saying that's a bad thing. I've been wondering what these are all about. Are they single coils?

morrow:
Yes. The originals were by DeArmond , and found fame on various Kay’s and Harmonys.

Pilgrim:

--- Quote from: Chris P. on February 03, 2023, 01:14:24 AM ---First I thought: No, just no. After a week I thought: quite interesting, and now I like it a lot! Bindings, but no blocks, lollipops, matching headstock, one pickup. The blue one that is.

--- End quote ---

I don't often listen to demo videos like this, but I'm glad I did.  I REALLY like the sound played finger style.  It actually puts out a sound I like with rounds on the bass - which is very unusual for me, as I usually dislike rounds.

I appreciated his playing about 7:00 when he moved while playing from above the pickup, to over the pickup, then down close to the bridge.  That is something that is seldom done in demos, and it was very helpful in hearing the change. 

I could easily get GAS for that bass.  I like the look and I really dig the sound. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version