Author Topic: Plectrum info?  (Read 6117 times)

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
Plectrum info?
« on: April 23, 2009, 04:57:43 PM »
I need some help finding info on a pick that I found in an old bass case.  They're a rounded triangle shape with a raised divot in the middle of one side to rest your finger in.  The pic is labeled "HERIBA O.B.G.M Western Germany."

I've looked around the net and can't find any info on them.  I thought that some of you "more experienced"   :D bassists might have come across them before.  This little pick has become my favorite and I'd like to find more of them!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Plectrum info?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:31:17 PM »
I have seen Heriba accessories including picks on some UK websites, never in the US. Otherwise I have no info on them.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Good that you asked!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 02:34:20 AM »
"Heriba moulded triangle nylon pick, soft version" (hard version is blue and pictured below in all three available shapes).

Dieser Herr here invented it:

Herbert (i) Bauernfeind (geddit?) did his firm accounting on a Sunday in 1979 when a Starfighter or Phantom crashed crashed into his plant. Dead. His widow and two sons continue the firm to this day.

I can send you dozens of these. For free. They were my preferred pick for decades (couldn't for the hell of it play with any other pick, I was competely addicted and stocked them in the hundreds in terror production might stop one day and I'd run out of them!) until I switched to the (slightly harder, but as thin and still elastic) black version "Heriba 115" that is also triangular and  has "nylon" embossed on it

though it is made of another material (some vintage plastic other than nylon they tried to recreate). Now I stock hundreds of these -  :rolleyes: -, they're the black triangular pics you always see stuck under the strings of my basses (these picks being regularly stolen by Doug Fyghter's Dutch friends!!!)

As I said, I still have a large number of the grey ones, all NOS, good thing I never threw them away. Mail me uwe.hornung@cliffordchance.com your postal address and you'll have enough to last you a lifetime, even if (hopefully!) no Phantom or Starfighter ever crashes into your house.

And ever the villain, I'll send you a couple of black ones as well, just to get you addicted too ...  :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:46:32 AM »
I've had some Dunlop picks that were similar. Not exactly the same , but textured where your fingers grip the pick. They were my favorites too, but I haven't bought a pick in over a decade  so I'm not much help in locating anything.
Rick

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:15:59 AM »
What a wonderful forum!  I thought that someone might be able to shed a little light on where to find them and Uwe apparently has the entire remaining stock under his pillow! 

I will agree about their addictive properties.  I have worn one down to nothing and this one is not too much longer for this world.  I'd been getting nervous about having to go back to the coated Dunlop picks (not that there is anything wrong with them).

Thanks, I will send my address forthwith.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »
Uwe, what was it I posted about buying an "acre of ground..."  ? :o

"Catch a falling Star-Fighter...
Put it in the pocket of your jeans...
You can use it as a cigarette lighter...
Or as an opener for a can of beans..."

"G for Germany, Ya...?"

Never tried one of these, but have a similar idea but no brand name - never got on with them, always prefered the same style as my silver Gibson pick, or the same style F*nd*r ones...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 10:29:49 PM »
There ya go:

http://banzaieffects.de/Heriba-Pick-Triangle-pr-25246.html

I used the blue ones in the late 70's. They were navy blue when new, but then gunk would start to accumulate in the textured area... didn't look too good. Since then I moved to Dunlop 1mm Nylon (black), the closest I could find to the blue Heriba.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »
Could it be possible that Heriba made them for Dunlop at one time? I distinctly remember having a pick with the textured circle with "Western Germany" around it. It was a gray pick, tradional shape,  and I really liked it.

That was in Illinois, BTW. And I did once own a Hofner, maybe the pick came with it. And all this was a long time ago.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »
Could it be possible that Heriba made them for Dunlop at one time? I distinctly remember having a pick with the textured circle with "Western Germany" around it. It was a gray pick, tradional shape,  and I really liked it.

That was in Illinois, BTW. And I did once own a Hofner, maybe the pick came with it. And all this was a long time ago.

Are you thinking of Herco? The Herco 75s are gray and have a raised round circle. Don't know if they were ever made in Germany, though. They're now owned by Dunop and made in USA.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 08:42:42 AM »
They're on their way, Brad ...  I didn't count, but probably a good 50+ of them - don't lose them all!  :mrgreen:

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »
Got any more?  I like nylon picks...

(Curses for coming into the thread late... >:( )

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »
I haven't run out of stock yet. Postal address please, mach schnell!