Author Topic: Types of Bassists  (Read 4600 times)

Rocker949

Types of Bassists
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:35:22 AM »
I've been looking through a book written by Greg Mooter called "Bass Player's Handbook" which I bought some time ago but which I'm now reading again.  Mooter lists and describes what he considers the different categories of bassists.  Most of these are self-explanatory:

1.  Beginners.

2.  Street Players

3.  Technically Challenged Players

4.  Forcers

5.  Jazzers--Mooter describes a jazzer not as someone who just plays jazz but someone who has natural talent, can play almost anything they hear, and can fake their way through most situations.  But Mooter says jazzers are stylistically restricted and should broaden their abilities to include other styles. 

6.  Rockers--This person is much like a jazzer, but also stylistically restricted.

7.  Semi-Pros

8.  Pros

Based on what I've seen on this board, I'd say probably quite a few people are at the pro level.  Unfortunately, I think I may still be at the rocker level.  However, even Mooter himself notes that it is better to not get hung up with categories too much.  Just be honest with yourself and try to see where you fit in, then progress from there.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Types of Bassists
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:43:54 AM »
What about 'The Fan'.

Someone who buys the same basses as his heroes, can't really play and is just in bands to have fun? Someone who's better in managing bands and writing about about it?

I think I'll fit in that one;)

Or:

'The Cross Dresser'
We have some 'guys' here who'll fit in that one.

And Uwe is a category in itself too, I guess?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »
Amateur --

noun 1.   a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.
(Dictionary.com Unabridged)

In that sense, I'm an amateur. Even back when I was playing for money, it wasn't to make a living, or even to supplement my income. It was strictly for the love of it.

nofi

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »
 this list needs work. for example you could put almost any other name in front of rocker or jazzer. like beginner rocker or semi pro jazzer. i'm an amateur according to above defintion as i think most off us would be. when i was gigging alot i never made enough money to make a difference. my goal now is to convice my son that there are things on a guitar called chords and you should play them occasionally.wank wank boing.! :P

some other catagories could be delusional and bedroom superstar. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:17:33 AM by nofi »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
I would classify myself as a Razzer.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
I've been looking through a book written by Greg Mooter called "Bass Player's Handbook" which I bought some time ago but which I'm now reading again.  Mooter lists and describes what he considers the different categories of bassists.  Most of these are self-explanatory:

1.  Beginners.

2.  Street Players

4.  Forcers

5.  Jazzers--Mooter describes a jazzer not as someone who just plays jazz but someone who has natural talent, can play almost anything they hear, and can fake their way through most situations.  But Mooter says jazzers are stylistically restricted and should broaden their abilities to include other styles. 

6.  Rockers--This person is much like a jazzer, but also stylistically restricted.

7.  Semi-Pros

8.  Pros

Based on what I've seen on this board, I'd say probably quite a few people are at the pro level.  Unfortunately, I think I may still be at the rocker level.  However, even Mooter himself notes that it is better to not get hung up with categories too much.  Just be honest with yourself and try to see where you fit in, then progress from there.

Hmmmm What is a Forcer according to Mooter? Some kind of rapist? lol
I'm trying to figure out how that might apply to a type of bassplayer. ???
Is that when you force your bandmates to play your songs & music cuz it's your P.A.?
If so, I reckon I fall into that category. hahaa

Rocker949

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:37:15 PM »
Hmmmm What is a Forcer according to Mooter? Some kind of rapist? lol
I'm trying to figure out how that might apply to a type of bassplayer. ???
Is that when you force your bandmates to play your songs & music cuz it's your P.A.?
If so, I reckon I fall into that category. hahaa

That's hilarious.  A forcer is someone who only knows how to play bass only by reading music.  So they read music, but it sounds like it.  When they play, you sometimes wonder if you're listening to a machine. 

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »
Would, "Technically Challenged Player," be the guy who knida knows what' supposed to happen, but can't quite get the fingers to do it right every time?
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Rocker949

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »
Mooter says a technically challenged player simply can't play very well.  He can't get the feel or technique down and just doesn't know what he is doing.  He may actually love playing but certainly could benefit from having a teacher closely supervise what he is trying to do.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 08:42:02 PM »
I don't know about that list.  Where does it leave someone like me - who played orchestral upright, then took a 20+ year layoff, and who now can sight read (although rusty) and can play many things but only after a few rehearsals?  I'm not the best at memorizing lines, and it takes me a few reps to commit something to memory.

I guess I'm somewhere in here...

2.  Street Players

4.  Forcers

If I were as high up as a Rocker, I'd be pretty happy.  I can work my way through a blues jam, but I'm scrambling for every note and once I find a riff or progression that works, I deviate from it only cautiously.

Perhaps there are two types of people: those who categorize others, and those who don't.

Or MAYBE there are three types of people: those who categorize others, those who don't and those who cry BS on the whole idea!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:49 PM »

I'm a hack!

I've listened to alot of the music you guys post..............There's an abundance of talant, I wish some of it would rub off on me  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 04:17:39 AM »
amateur hack rocker.  I can hang in most situations but tend to keep things relatively simple to minimize the frequency of clams.  after songs become ingrained, I usually stumble onto new runs/riffs/rhythms that are incorporated into the way I play the song.  I wish I had taken more lessons and learned to read when I started playing, but I was too busy trying to be a rock star.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 04:24:12 AM »
amateur hack rocker.  I can hang in most situations but tend to keep things relatively simple to minimize the frequency of clams.  after songs become ingrained, I usually stumble onto new runs/riffs/rhythms that are incorporated into the way I play the song.  I wish I had taken more lessons and learned to read when I started playing, but I was too busy trying to be a rock star.

That sort of sums it up for me too :)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 04:33:39 AM »
I will go along with that one too: Brilliant:)

And of course there's the: "As You All Know - know it all" type. A special breed.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 07:26:23 AM »
I'm not sure amateur is an apt description. I think hobbyist might be a better term for those of us who have been playing for many years, do get paid to play, but don't make a living doing it.