Author Topic: Lovely and rare cherry hollow body Greco SAB  (Read 4133 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Lovely and rare cherry hollow body Greco SAB
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 10:20:35 AM »
I know it's in. I know its scale lenght, but I don't wanna be a spoiler. Joran, call for duty!

Joran

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 11:18:16 AM »
It's definitely long scale. Does need a bit getting used to for a guitarist like myself, but wow! this is a great instrument!

It came in an old smelly brown gig bag! If I didn't know better I would say it's a Gibson (I own a couple of Gibson guitars). Pictures will follow, it's too dark now to take descent pictures.

Joran

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »
As promised:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »
Lovely bass.  :thumbsup:

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »
Beautiful bass!  I've only seen a handful of those over the years, and never realized that they were long scale.  

Are those Greco mudbuckers true to the EB sound?

Joran

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 12:18:13 AM »
chromium: I have no idea. Maybe Chris P. can shine a light on this one after he has stopped by to give this bass a try. He has an EB-3 and a SG Reissue Bass.

On each side of the bridge is a tiny hole. According to the seller, these basses came with a cover over the bridge. The distance is approx. 12 cm. Anyone now where I can score a nice cover?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 02:00:35 AM »
I'll take a screwdriver and I'll open that pickup ;D I will try her for sure. I know a bit how they have to sound indeed. I guess the Greco will be a bit tighter because of the scale lenght.

Strange thing: My now DSed Rivoli reissue had a Jazz pick up at the neck and it still sounded like a Rivoli... Short scale, set neck, mahogany neck, semisolid.. 

But I'm very curious.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:31 AM »
Yesterday Joran and I compared his Greco to my RI Rivoli.

We measured the scale lenghts. The Rivoli is 30,5" and the Greco 33,5, so the difference is only 3". The bridge seems to be around an inch more to the back, so the bass isn't that long.

The Greco has a three piece maple neck, while the Rivoli has a mahogany one.

Mark's Greco didn't have the two way switch and this one has. It's a mini toggle switch, which seems to be aftermarket and... ....it doesn't do a thing. Maybe a cosmetic mod to make it more like an EB2?

It's a gorgeous bass and because of the maple neck and scale length she sounds very tight and very usable in a rock band. We only tried her through a little Vox AC4, so it's difficult to say more about the sound.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »
Yesterday Joran and I compared his Greco to my RI Rivoli.

We measured the scale lenghts. The Rivoli is 30,5" and the Greco 33,5, so the difference is only 3". The bridge seems to be around an inch more to the back, so the bass isn't that long.

On a 20 fret bass or guitar, about 70% of the scale length is on the neck, so a 3" difference will only move the bridge back about an inch. That's normal.

I remember from a thread a couple of years ago that someone here (Fräulein ?) has a Greco T-bird with a 33.5" or 33.375" scale. Maybe that's what they normally used as their long scale.