Author Topic: NBD  (Read 768 times)

cheyenne

• View Profile
NBD
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:17:48 AM »
Picked up an Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV in Alpine White last week, really digging the bass. Went ahead and bought the case as well.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: NBD
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »
Great bass for the money.  Love the white.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »

I really like the Epi Classic, a great Thunderbird at a working man's price, congratulations on a beauty!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

cheyenne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »
This is my first T-bird. Love it.

Question: I like a real low action, I have the neck set almost dead straight, and the bridge almost bottomed out and still no fret buzz. Is this typical? I feel it could go a little lower, 3/16ths from the top of the 12 fret to the bottom of the E string right now, any suggestions to get a little more adjustment? I've already cut the nut as low as I want to go.

Or maybe I just don't know how to setup a Thunderbird?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
Congrats!

I owned an Epi Elitist Thunderbird for a while.  On mine I had to rearrange the bridge saddles to get the setup right.  The radius of the fingerboard did not match that of the bridge.  The E&G bridge saddles were low, and the A&D were much taller.

Rather than try and replace the saddles or cut them differently, I just shuffled them around so that the highest ones were under the E&A, and lower ones under the D&G... and then set the bridge action to suit via the studs.  It looked kind of funky because the bridge was tilted  low on the bass side, and higher on the treble side... but I was able to attain a great setup this way.

I have no idea if this same situation applies to your bass, but thought I'd mention in case it does.

cheyenne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 01:06:53 PM »
thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at that. I thought about trying some taper core strings. I think that would allow me to actually raise the bridge a little bit.