Author Topic: Pete Townshend's Studio, JAE content  (Read 5884 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Townshend's Studio, JAE content
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 06:56:45 AM »
Hey, you two dinosaurs! Watch out for meteorites!  :P

Apple didn't invent digital music without the CD, they were just the first to figure out how to monetize it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:45 AM »
And iTunes killed the CD cover and booklet. For that alone they deserve to fry in hell. Music without a cover and a booklet is like having sex with yourself. Plus they aided and abetted the commercial success of a crap sound quality. Double-fry in hell then.

Agreed! I don't do iTunes. I like a hard copy/liner notes. I've bought a total of one song, and that was by a friend of mine's, and the only outlet to help support him. I DO download singles from Amazon for cover tunes.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
That picture says it all. It's nice to be an ancient reptile! With a stero system that amplifies music like it should be heard.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »
Ich bin eine reptilian.    ???
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
the CD cover and booklet.
...who killed the album cover.
 :-\
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »
True, but I got over that after two decades.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »
... and you'll be whinging on about how good the good ole MP3 was in another twenty... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
MPee3 is vile. Chopped up crap. CDs, at least initially, didn't sound so great in the highs, but have you ever tried detecting the bass drum on a sixties recording you first heard on CD on your old vinyl. CDs were never vile, just different acoustic strength. In the sub-bass department, nothing can beat a CD.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
DVD-A...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:33:43 PM »
Could beat it when they came out.

I don't like listening to 5.1 mixes of music, I'm a stereo guy. 5.1 sounds weird and hollow. I don't want Jim Morrison singing behind my back either and Robbie Krieger playing to my right in front or vice versa.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »
...who killed the album cover.
 :-\

If you're my age, you remember when the LP killed the real album, which was six 78 rpm records in a bound album.

MPee3 is vile. Chopped up crap. CDs, at least initially, didn't sound so great in the highs, but have you ever tried detecting the bass drum on a sixties recording you first heard on CD on your old vinyl. CDs were never vile, just different acoustic strength. In the sub-bass department, nothing can beat a CD.

In blind listening tests, most people can't tell the difference between a 320 kbps CBR mp3 (or ca. 250 high VBR) and 1411 kbps WAV or CD music files.

You're hung up on albums as coherent collections, maybe that's one reason why you value CDs and their booklets. I couldn't care less; I like songs, not albums.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »

I dunno.............I've had some pretty damm good sex with myself.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 06:05:18 AM »
If you're my age, you remember when the LP killed the real album, which was six 78 rpm records in a bound album.

In blind listening tests, most people can't tell the difference between a 320 kbps CBR mp3 (or ca. 250 high VBR) and 1411 kbps WAV or CD music files.

You're hung up on albums as coherent collections, maybe that's one reason why you value CDs and their booklets. I couldn't care less; I like songs, not albums.

That is to me like saying: "I like pages, not books."!!! A nice song is a nice song, but it is crowned by placement in a body of work. Hearing With a little help from my friends by itself ist not the same to hearing it in sequence on Sgt. Pepper.

And the fact that most people can't hear the dif between MPiss3 and CD quality, says a lot about how intensively people hear music and very little about the actual quality.

I've heard of a blindfold test where the winner was "CD with a little vinyl hiss artificially added".

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 08:40:35 AM »
That is to me like saying: "I like pages, not books."!!! A nice song is a nice song, but it is crowned by placement in a body of work. Hearing With a little help from my friends by itself ist not the same to hearing it in sequence on Sgt. Pepper.

Oh come on. The number of songs that can't be understood or appreciated outside of the context of an album is a drop in the ocean. Concept albums are a blip in the timeline of recorded music history.

And the fact that most people can't hear the dif between MPiss3 and CD quality, says a lot about how intensively people hear music and very little about the actual quality.

In a legitimate double blind ABX listening test, the whole idea is to listen intently and discern a difference in quality if you can. It's not about casual listening.

I've heard of a blindfold test where the winner was "CD with a little vinyl hiss artificially added".

A test where sound is artificially added to recorded music would be bogus, not to mention being a dead giveaway.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
In the perfect world I'd own the perfect sound system and enjoy listening to music in an acoustically pefect room, but as most of my listen pleasure is between calls I choose convenience and ease over bulk and clutter anyday... I just don't have the room...