Author Topic: Life changing concerts anyone?  (Read 7177 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Life changing concerts anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
Lost most all of my ticket stubs in the divorce.  Still have my Stones stub though!  I was 13 and in the cheap seats!

Man, do I ever remember cheap tickets!  I started buying concert tickets in about 1976 and they were always under $10 :sad:  Minimum wage was about $3.35 and I had to work at least three hours to pay for one.  Seems like most arena acts now will set you back a bare minimum of 50 bones + service charges.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »
My '76 KISS ticket was a whopping $9.50!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
My '76 KISS ticket was a whopping $9.50!
My ticket for KISS, with Rush opening, was $4.00.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 12:59:04 PM »
I'm most envious to those two who saw King Crimson in Chicago 1974. Thankfully there's no official release of that concert so I could listen it and confirm they were fantastic which they of course were. Please don't tell me that Wetton had to use his black mapleneck Fender Jazz after he busted a string on his white Precision...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
The Who at Orlando, Florida 1967...$3.00.  Festival seating at a rodeo rink.  Moon's naked lady drum kit, he threw a tom tom into the audience.  Closer was the entire "A Quick One" followed by "My Generation".

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »
I'm most envious to those two who saw King Crimson in Chicago 1974. Thankfully there's no official release of that concert so I could listen it and confirm they were fantastic which they of course were. Please don't tell me that Wetton had to use his black mapleneck Fender Jazz after he busted a string on his white Precision...

I want to say it was the natural Precision, and he didn't bust a string.  The real thrill of the show was watching Bill Bruford, whose drum cage took up about 2/3 of the stage.  Bruford inherited not only his own kit, but all of the percussion tasks that Jamie Muir abandoned, and to watch him bounce around during the show was pretty cool.  Fripp, as always, was seated and faced sideways towards the band.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »
The Stones had that impressive Lotus stage and it was their first tour with Wood.  Billy Preston was playing keys with them.  The big inflatable phallus made the appearance and my older sisters were fighting over the binoculars trying to look over Mick.  A fog developed around the arena as the show wore on.   :mrgreen:  My 2 older sisters who had taken me and my then 15 year old sister had seen them in Dallas in 1965.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 01:50:46 PM »
The first concert ever was Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas in -63 or -64, when I was still in my teens. It was a summer night in northern Sweden.The band was good, but what really impressed me was the fillers Johnny Vallons & The Deejays from England. Bass player had a Gibson Eb 0, guitarist a Gibson SG, while Johnny himself had an acoustic guitar. Had never seen Gibsons before. These guys put on a great show! Old rock'n'rollers, and r'n'b. Plus some Hank Williams, I seem to remember.
The 70's came with Springsteen, The Who, The Kinks, Little Feat, Muddy Waters, Rockpile, and much more. But nothing's got me as enthusiastic as the night the sweat was pouring in rhythm of the Deejays!

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
a couple more i have remembered - faust the garage highbury london 25 october 1998,television shepherd bush empire london 15 april 2001,coil ash ra tempel and julian cope royal festival hall london 2 april 2000,hawkwind waihi beach hotel new zealand 4 feb 2000(the venue was a small bar in an old pub at an isolated beach-most incongruous,like coming across martian karaoke in your local mall- a thoroughly good time was had by all.actually im cheating with the dates,next to my computer is a board covered with concert tickets.
Louder bass!.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »
While it isn't as cool as the early Stones or anyone who actually got to see The Beatles or Hendrix, my first concert was Iron Butterfly on the In-a-Gadda-da-Vida tour.  They were at Ravinia outside Chicago.  Believe it or not, it was a youth group outing for my church.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »
my first concert was cream (outdoors) on their farewell tour, terry reid was the opener. it didn't change a thing but was fun.

was it the RED line up from king crimson in 1974?
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »
my first concert was cream (outdoors) on their farewell tour, terry reid was the opener. it didn't change a thing but was fun.

was it the RED line up from kc in 1974?

Lark's Tongue In Aspic, and they were a four piece.  David Cross was still in the band.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
Lark's Tongue In Aspic, and they were a four piece.  David Cross was still in the band.
cool.the live stuff i have from that period is kickass
Louder bass!.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »

The way I remember it it was a white Fender Precision. Their USA album was recorded on that tour if I remember correctly.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »
The way I remember it it was a white Fender Precision. Their USA album was recorded on that tour if I remember correctly.

I'm wondering if I saw them a year earlier.