Author Topic: Pete Townshend's Studio, JAE content  (Read 5869 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Pete Townshend's Studio, JAE content
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
Could beat it when they came out.

I don't like listening to 5.1 mixes of music, I'm a stereo guy. 5.1 sounds weird and hollow. I don't want Jim Morrison singing behind my back either and Robbie Krieger playing to my right in front or vice versa.

I haven't listened to a lot of 5.1 music, but I do have Rush Snakes and Arrows in that format. Can't say I'm crazy about it. Different tom-toms all over the place and such. I'm a stereo guy too. If I'm watching any kind of music programming/DVD in my living room, I'm always set to left/right/sub only. It just sounds better. I suppose it could be cool for certain types of music - Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, KMFDM.... I still have my turntable, stereo tube amp, and a pair of Advents in my basement.  ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
All my gear got packed years back but its all still in the loft - an old Wharfdale Linton amp up there somewhere too - I have some lovely old Wharfedale speakers I've had since the 70's - stripped the cabs - repainted to match the lounge - all I got was "size matters" and all SWMBO wanted was something small and convenient - a Panasonic theatre system fits that bill - neat little speakers - nice clean sound...

I have that Rush DVD too but don't get the chance to turn it up loud enough to enjoy too frequently...

Dark Side is available in 5.1, as is Tubular Bells - Rush' Moving Pictures is available now too...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 02:35:47 AM »
The CD is partly a Dutch invention, so I have to be proud of it;)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 05:16:09 AM »
wow, tubular bells. the short, single version got massive airplay when it came out. oldfield was also the first artist signed by a  very young richard branson to virgin records. or so npr tells me.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 05:43:07 AM »
wow, tubular bells. the short, single version got massive airplay when it came out. oldfield was also the first artist signed by a  very young richard branson to virgin records. or so npr tells me.

I just saw a little piece where Branson lists Tubular Bells as his favorite album of all time.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 07:35:25 AM »
When driving across large deserted portions of the western US late at night, Tubular Bells was a rather disquieting album to play on the car stereo.  Made one unwilling to stop and pee.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 11:39:04 AM »

Now that you mention it, it does share typically Dutch traits: Unimpressive look and made on the cheap. Kind of like DAF cars.

:-* :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
I just saw a little piece where Branson lists Tubular Bells as his favorite album of all time.

Not all of Tubular Bells has aged well, but many parts have. Oldfield was always sourfaced about the amount of mistakes on the original (some of which even people other than him can hear), so he recorded a new version sometime in the noughties (with John Cleese doing the voice). That new version wasn't horrible, but kind of unneccassary if you ask me, I tend to prefer the old one with all its limitations for the atmosphere. It was one of the first progressive (and instrumental to boot!) albums I really liked, it was something different at the time.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
Tubular Bells made Branson - and forever linked to The Exorcist for people of that era...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »

Nothing wrong with it, I wasn't implying that. Doesn't change the market, though. Looks like its heyday has passed.

Now that you mention it, it does share typically Dutch traits: Unimpressive look and made on the cheap. Kind of like DAF cars.

:-* :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don't knock DAF. Any day now, air-cooled belt drive two-bangers will be making a comeback. On riding lawnmowers.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 07:23:57 AM »
DAF had their moments: