Author Topic: Mudbucker ...not  (Read 14309 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Mudbucker ...not
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
My G had no epoxy.  It was just all shoved into its plastic housing, which was a pretty neat way to try to keep things sealed up.  I always wondered which came first, the G or the Bassbucker. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
My G had no epoxy.  It was just all shoved into its plastic housing, which was a pretty neat way to try to keep things sealed up.  I always wondered which came first, the G or the Bassbucker. 

OK, mine was like that also. The G came first. The Schaller pickups are copies of the DiMarzios, even though DiMarzio had some patents on certain aspects, like the pole pieces. I guess it didn't count in Germany, or Schaller licensed the designs.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »
You can rewind the mudbuckers to be cleaner. I rewound mine down to about 12k. It mixed real well with the Hi-A pickup I had at the bridge on my Rick. It kept a lot of the same charater too, but had more highs and wasn't overpowering. 

That's the part I DON'T like. I'd rather be able to ocassionally dial in definition from something located in Jazz Bass bridge pickup territory, but I wouldn't want a Sidewinder with that bite all the time. I have an extremely hard attack and am a 'tone control rolled all the way off guy' 90% of the time.

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
That's the part I DON'T like. I'd rather be able to ocassionally dial in definition from something located in Jazz Bass bridge pickup territory, but I wouldn't want a Sidewinder with that bite all the time. I have an extremely hard attack and am a 'tone control rolled all the way off guy' 90% of the time.

That's how I like my basses. On my neo pickups, the neck pickup sounds like a P bass. I actually modeled it off of the Ray Shulman's P bass from the band Gentle Giant. So it's a nice solid tone, but not muddy. Works real well on it's own. You can roll the highs off when you warm a thick slab of bass. I made the bridge pickup to sound good soloed. It has bite, but doesn't sound thin on its own. Together they get another tone.

My Sidewinders are my version of the old Lane Poor pickups. They are a cross between a Jazz and a Rick. But you can darken them up too when you need to.

I had a NOS mudbucker in my '73 Rick. That's the one I rewound. I really only rewound it so it would play well with my bridge pickup, but it still retained that deep smooth tone.

You can hear it on this track:

It wouln't be hard to make a tapped mudbucker, so you can go from the full mud winding, to something brighter.