Author Topic: Cool night at a local bar  (Read 2632 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Cool night at a local bar
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »
My kids got called up yesterday afternoon to fill in for a band at a local bar (Volume-11) in Raleigh.
Mostly hardcore bands at this place and I was slightly concerned for my 13-year old son, who's the drummer.
I was bummed because I had already committed to subbing for a buddy's hockey team that night and would probably miss the show.
After my game, I rushed over to V-11 and got there as they kicked off their 1st song of the night.
The crowd was great and the owners of the joint are really great folks.

My oldest boy brought my "new" Peavey RJ-IV and it was good to hear it played loud and live on a few songs.
A cool moment was when he taped a lyric sheet to the mic and apologized up front to anyone fluent in German.
They lit into "Links" by Rammstein, which he sang in German (which is amazing as he doesn't speak the language).
A cool night for a proud mom & dad.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Cool night at a local bar
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
Awesome! Sounds like a good time.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »
Very cool  8)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 05:40:59 AM »
There was a music reporter who interviewed my oldest boy, Chris, after that show.
She wrote a really nice little article on their band "Betwixt" that appeared yesterday.
I'm always proud when they handle themselves properly in public - it makes it really special when your 19 year old raves about your 13 year old.

http://www.raleighmusic.com/articles.asp?aid=5663

Steve

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
Nice review...

Post a demo link of that song Endeavor or something representative, Steve...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »
http://soundcloud.com/steveacker/endeavor-master#

Here's a link to demo recording we did with the kids a few months back. Not great quality, but it's a good place to start.
They did a live scratch track and used the drums from that - the guitars and vocals were done in studio.
Home recording can be a real bitch sometimes - the drums never seem to come out well.
BTW, the bass in this demo is actually Scott's old Peavey Fury.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:08:20 PM »
Good enough to get the idea across - getting sound levels right is a knack and having just the right room is part of the magic - I used to have my own kit back in the 70's but broke it up for spares with various bands over the years - last thing I have is a key... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »
Very cool!!
It must be an awesome feeling to read such a review about your own kids.

I'm still waiting for my kids to pick up an interest for music...
There's always a guitar or bass for grabs in the living room. And I even bought them these ukele size six string Mahalo guitars. But they're more into their Wii, Nintendo and Nerf guns ;-)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:59:16 AM by Basvarken »

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
Very cool!!
It must be an awesome feeling to read such a review about your own kids.

I'm still waiting for my kids to pick up an intetest for music...
There's always a guitar or bass for grabs in the living room. And I even bought them these ukele size sic string Mahalo guitars. But they're more into their Wii, Nintendo and Nerf guns ;-)

Yeah, thanks - it's a hoot.  I love the feeling of watching them on stage.

It's funny - I grew up in a very athletic family, and just assumed that if/when I had kids, they'd follow that path.
Hell, I still play hockey 3-4 times a week and ride dirtbikes like I was a kid, but they've only shown brief interest in any kind of sports. 
They, too, were (and still are) locked into video games and nerf guns.  It's all good.
Luckily, I went nuts and bought guitars, amps, mixers, mics, etc. and a drum kit about 6-7 years ago.  It took a while (almost 2 years), but they became interested in music.
It's done wonders for everyone (OK, maybe not the neighbors) - their friends hang out here and play music (and wind down by playing video games, nerf wars, etc.), but their parents always know they are.

Chris has been teaching himself to play guitar & bass.  He takes voice lessons now where Nick has his drum lessons.  I think he fully realizes that some structured lessons will be in  order soon.
Sorry to hog up a server space, but here's another clip of them playing live during Christmas. Nick's friend Clayton is on lead.  A couple of 13 year olds and my (then) 18 year old having fun.  I get such a kick out of watching him drum, and he's improved tremendously since this was videotaped.

Steve