Author Topic: Thunderbuckers  (Read 4171 times)

weekend warrior

• View Profile
Thunderbuckers
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:31:43 AM »
I think im gonna get new pickups for the 76 tbird.Any suggestions on wich ones? Lollar, Thunderbuckers,E.T.C. Im looking for pickups that sound like my 68 non reverse.
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Thunderbuckers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 04:37:17 AM »
I suggest a set of ThunderBucker 66.  Reverse engineered from a set from my '67 Embassy and one from an NR.  Steve offers a 30 day money back trial period. 

From my understanding the other Thunderbird clones, including Lulls, are made to Reverse specs which are not as hot as NRs.  Steve also does Reverse spec as well as the super high output MAX and the EX5 model for 5 strings.

Thunderbuckerranch.com

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 06:28:27 AM »
I like the Thunderbuckers a lot, they really capture the sound and feel of a original Tbird pup. I hve the Overwound '66 and the Max in a number of basses. I also have Seymour Duncan custom shop repro Thunderbird pups in a couple of basses, they are definatley brighter sounding and lack the inherent warmth and overdrive that a 60s Thunderbird pup should have. I don't have any Lulls but SD does make pups for Lull so I would expect them to sound the same. The Thunderbuckers are about half the cost of a Lull. Id take the Thunderbuckes.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »
I dig my Thunderbuckers too
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 04:57:51 PM »
+1
Louder bass!.

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
Me too. About to order another set of the 66's.

T

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »
I think im gonna get new pickups for the 76 tbird.Any suggestions on wich ones? Lollar, Thunderbuckers,E.T.C. Im looking for pickups that sound like my 68 non reverse.

Just me and my .02...........

Considering the relative scarcity of the bass I wouldn't replace the pickups at all. '70's pups are much taller and use 3 screws to mount, '60s are much thinner and use 2 screws, so you'll be modifing the bass, again personally I wouldn't. Not gonna hash the repro pickup thing, I endorse the ones I prefer tho.  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:48 AM »

Just me and my .02...........

Considering the relative scarcity of the bass I wouldn't replace the pickups at all. '70's pups are much taller and use 3 screws to mount, '60s are much thinner and use 2 screws, so you'll be modifing the bass, again personally I wouldn't. Not gonna hash the repro pickup thing, I endorse the ones I prefer tho.  :)

The only mod would be a removable 1/2" spacer block and 2 small (hidden) screw holes in each pickup cavity to install any of the TBird clone pickups.  Small price to pay for a very different sounding bass IMO.  Especially since it's completely reversible with no visible sign of modification.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »

When I've modded my later 'Birds I've shaped and glued 1/2"mahogany spacers to fill up yhr pup rout, guess you could screw mount them as well. I really like '76s tho, yes they do sound different than the '60s ones - to me that's whole point, I would unhesitatingly mod any post '88 'Bird......Earlier not so much.   

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
I love how the 76 plays and feels.However,My 68 Blows it away!The tone is soooooo different.If i can at least capture that same tone with the thunderbuckers Its worth the swap. I wont have to do any serious mods to the 76(and wont)so its worth it to me.I will keep the originals stashed away.

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 02:04:32 AM »
Got the thunderbuckers today.Installed them without a problem. Totally different bass now!The 76 bird is finally singin.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 03:34:51 AM »
Got the thunderbuckers today.Installed them without a problem. Totally different bass now!The 76 bird is finally singin.
Nice!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
I have a 76 and i know they are made different but the 63 thunderbuckers sound pretty close.  the 66's have a hotter edge to them and the lull sits somewhere between.  being a fender guy I may be the only person that prefers the 63's. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »
I have a 76 and i know they are made different but the 63 thunderbuckers sound pretty close.  the 66's have a hotter edge to them and the lull sits somewhere between.  being a fender guy I may be the only person that prefers the 63's. 

The '63 'buckers are the only version I have experienced, but I think they are excellent!

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
Here's a clip of the 66 Thunderbuckers in my JAEbird - this is a VERY ROUGH incomplete mix of an upcoming song we're working on - the bass sounds great though.  JAEbird > Cave Passive Pedals TVTR clean boost > Markbass TTE500 > DI out > Protools.  Both pickups on full, tone control on around 1/4 turn.  TTE500 EQ flat.  No compression or post production at all.

http://soundcloud.com/mdeayton/ht-rough-mix
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive