Author Topic: Parting out Coronado bass  (Read 2354 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Parting out Coronado bass
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:23:43 AM »
Hi Guys!  I need to reduce my stock of stuff (need some cash for tools in the shop!!!) and I've decided to part out the Coronado I pieced together last year.  It's all original bass parts but the body is actually a Coronado body (they're exactly the same as a bass body).  The wiring harness is totally original as are the pups.  Both are in excellent condition.  The neck's refined.

If you're interested in any parts, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll toss it up on eBay tomorrow night.

Thanks!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

luve2fli

• View Profile
Re: Parting out Coronado bass
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »
Um ..... why not just sell it outright? I know parting it will net you more cash but probably not THAT much more ..... you did put the work into it, after all - seems a shame to part it out.

My 2 cents.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:44:20 AM »
If you can get close to the same money I'd vote for selling it outright as well, but if not I realize the money counts toward tools so I hope you get top dollar either way. That's a beautiful bass...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
Well, it's not worth as much in whole because it's a parts bass.  If it were all original and I had just rehabbed it, I'd consider selling it whole.  So, parting works better for me.  Besides, it sure is a lot easier shipping parts vs. an entire bass these days!

While I did put sometime into this, I am learning to not feel like I have to keep every instrument I've worked on.  It's hard, for sure, to let go of things you've put yourself into, but I'm getting better at prioritizing.  Dave can tell you what a bass whore I was the first few years I got back into playing/collecting.  I do keep the ones that resonant most with me.  I still have all of my Gibson and Gretsch hollow bodies!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:53:27 AM »
I agree, you'll do better by parting it out. Even though almost all of the parts are original, they didn't come from the same instrument. People will pay full value for those original parts, they won't pay as much for the same parts assembled into a bass. Hope that makes sense.

nofi

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 09:36:21 AM »
just like parting out a stolen honda. the parts are worth more than the whole. :mrgreen:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »
I agree, you'll do better by parting it out. Even though almost all of the parts are original, they didn't come from the same instrument. People will pay full value for those original parts, they won't pay as much for the same parts assembled into a bass. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, it does and my experience bears this out.  It's funny, there are certain parts basses I'll probably keep forever.  My little red Vox Tornado I made out of a guitar body is a nice bass and I enjoy just sitting around playing it in the music room.  It'll be around for quite a while.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »
You can also take solace in knowing that A: in the end you got more money out of it, and B: you helped a lot more Coronados be restored to their former glory. Win/Win!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »
You can also take solace in knowing that A: in the end you got more money out of it, and B: you helped a lot more Coronados be restored to their former glory. Win/Win!

Ok, I can buy that argument.   8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."