Author Topic: Boy, today was my turn to do overdubs in the studio  (Read 786 times)

Blazer

Boy, today was my turn to do overdubs in the studio
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »
Okay then, my Band Slavantas is busy recording our debut album "The Last men standing" and today was my turn to do redo my tracks or overdub some stuff when needed. I brought along my trusty London City "Bulldog" Tube head, my Boss GT5 effects processor, My old faithful 1989 Squier Stratocaster "the Veteran" and my newly acquired Modified seventies SG Custom.

Now I had used my SG on the last rehearsal and everybody was raving about how good it sounded, unfortunately it had an issue with staying in tune and the neck and middle pickups were way too close to the strings so they sucked out all the sustain. So I lowered the neck and middle pickups until they were virtually flush with the surface of the guitar, I then bolted on the double locking Washburn "Wonderbar" cram trem bridge which requires no routing to be installed and I fitted a top lock. It works a charm, the guitar sounds better than before and stays in tune.

But when I got it out at the studio, the enginier looked at me with a "Are you kidding me?" look on his face but our lead singer who was also there shushed him and said "You'll be surprised."

I ended up using the SG on the whole thing and the enginier said that he's love to have that guitar in the studio and asked me if I were interested in selling it, I went "Nope, I'm really enjoying the ownership of this guitar, I'm not gonna sell it."

But as good as the SG sounded the tediousness of having to play serveral parts over and over and over again got to me at one time. And I asked to have a small break, our lead singer smiled and told me that I had every reason to be tired, I had been playing for over four hours.

I'm glad that I'm done there, I'm exhausted, Jack T. our other guitarist will have his turn next friday and after that my bass playing brother will be up.

Saf

• View Profile
Re: Boy, today was my turn to do overdubs in the studio
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:30:26 AM »
Hey that guitar was standing besides me almost the whole day in veenendaal if I'm correct. It was just standing 50 centimeters fro mmy own stand there. It has lovely suns on the pup covers. I Like it.

The german seller didn't know wich brand it was and after lots of asking around he made the conclusion that it was a pearl. Wich makes no sense because Pearl is just a brand coming out the same factory i njapan as DIA's, Hondo, Lyle, Global's and so on. Could be any brandname.

Anyway I really like the looks of it. It's a set neck and a orginal (?) 3 pupper. Great. Voor de looks only I should put a bigsby on it. Have given it a thought of buying that one myself. but I made a commitment to myself not to buy guitars anymore and only buy bassguitars.

Blazer

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 04:49:34 AM »
Your loss is my gain then. It shows evidence of having suffered a neck break at one time and it had a new headstock face plate fitted. But when I took it apart I found evidence that this SG might be a genuine Gibson, the way it was put together for example matches the way late seventies Gibson SG's were put together.

So there's a chance that when it was new my guitar looked like this.

But because I'm still not sure about this SG being a genuine Gibson or a really nicely made copy, I'm keeping quiet about it. Still it's a good deal for the money I paid for it.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 04:58:44 AM »
don't know what his final price was, he offerred it me before the starting of the fair for 225. I'm glad I didn't buy it and you did 'cause in my hand it wasn't being used very much. I only can play some powerchords and don't play very often. This guitar was built to rock.

Do you reallt think it could be an Gibson? that would be really nice. The japanese top of the line models where before the so called lawsuit era very well made and an almost 1 to 1 copy of the orginals. De guitar has Dimarzio pups as if I recall correctly.

Are you planning on doin' a refin or are you just leaving it the way it looks now?

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:23:03 PM »
Congratulations Blazer! 4 solid hours of playin' your heart out is very commendable!!!!
I dig that SG~ It's got a lot of character.  8) Doesn't really matter if it's a Gibson or not.
It ROCKS! That's all that matters.