Author Topic: Bono  (Read 4000 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Bono
« on: September 03, 2018, 06:59:25 PM »
It seems Bono has been in the news a lot recently because he suddenly lost his voice and had to cancel a Berlin show. 

What's the difference between God and Bono?

God doesn't wander around Dublin thinking he's Bono. 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/u2-cancel-gig-five-songs-bono-loses-voice-2373313
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Bono
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 09:38:13 PM »
Good news for that audience.  ;)

I've never heard of a "complete loss of voice" caused by smoking in one area of a venue. I'd guess he's exaggerating.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »
At last, some good news :-X

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:07:37 PM »
When he heard about the show being cancelled, someone who was commenting on the matter said that this is proof that God exists. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:23:05 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 01:16:23 AM »
Nono Vox

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
Is gearhed around?  8) I just wanted to take the opportunity to drop the observation that Adam Clayton isn't that hot a bassist ...  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »
This could of course only happen in Germany. We're good a silencing voices that should not be heard.  :mrgreen:

Seriously, I hope he recovers quickly. While I am (in)famous for deriding a band buddy with the first U2 album under his arm in the early 80ies with the comment "these guys are absolutely hopeless, the guitarist can't even play a proper solo, they'll never fill a stadium" (he claimed it was "the sound of the future", but then he was a drummer, so what did he know?!), I know that Bono's voice means a lot to a lot of people. (Note to everyone: Never trust Uwe's predictions!)

And for what it's worth, a taxi driver in Dublin tolde me only a few years ago that he still picks up Bono and his wife regularly when they go to a theater or the cinema and there is no entourage or bodyguards around him and that "he hasn't changed one bit from when they were still starving and scavenging for gigs". That is probably unlikely to be true, but I give Bono credit for trying.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »
This could of course only happen in Germany. We're good a silencing voices that should not be heard.  :mrgreen:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to work that magic on that other well known Gobshite frontman Geldolf

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 12:22:30 PM »
But my wife likes him! And when we were at a hotel in Istanbul a few years ago, he sat at the table next to us and she was in awe throughout the meal. I pride myself in selflessly making her aware of him. That's just how I am.  ;)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 01:42:45 PM »
Is gearhed around?  8) I just wanted to take the opportunity to drop the observation that Adam Clayton isn't that hot a bassist ...  :mrgreen:

I was once on the edge of Dublin trying out a bass.  The shop owner came over and mentioned that Adam Clayton had tried out the same bass just the week before.  Two things, though--I'm not a U2 fan if it was a good bass, why didn't Adam Clayton buy it?  Despite all that, the guy dazzled me with his inside knowledge of Irish politics.  That wasn't why I was in there, but I was genuinely impressed.  I think my friend must have been the one who brought up politics.  She isn't a U2 fan, either, and changing the subject to politics actually worked out well in this case.  I do respect U2's importance in music, but just never have been very interested in listening to them. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 01:25:08 AM »
For the record: I'm fine with Clayton's artistry and I always thought he was the coolest-looking U2ling with the most gorgeous female companions. I'm just joke-digging at gearhed who is always whining that no mention of U2 can happen without some dumbass deriding AC's bass playing skills. (Gearhed liked Clayton's female companions too, but he has now gone into hiding obviously ...)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:33:55 AM by uwe »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 06:03:10 AM »
I don't really get why Clayton gets so many digs. Sure, his parts are easy, but you can say the same of any number of bassists. Like, most bassists ever!  But for some reason Clayton gets almost as much flak as Michael Anthony!  ;D

His simple lines suit the band well, and they've maintained good chemistry for 40ish years, no mean feat. Some of those lines (eg. "New Year's Day", "A Sort of Homecoming") were catchy and a lot of fun to learn when I was a young whippersnapper just getting started.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 06:39:52 AM »
But for some reason Clayton gets almost as much flak as Michael Anthony!  ;D

Really? I've never really heard nor seen anyone giving Clayton any flak. (probably says more about me than the rest of the world  ;D  )
I thought it is usually Bono who gets it.

And years ago I talked to a respected session drummer who was very respectful about U2's rhythmsection. They may not be flashy players at all, but they do lay down a signature groove that is immediately recognizable.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 06:47:18 AM »
They serve the music well

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 08:07:20 AM »
I don't really get why Clayton gets so many digs. Sure, his parts are easy, but you can say the same of any number of bassists. Like, most bassists ever!  But for some reason Clayton gets almost as much flak as Michael Anthony!  ;D

His simple lines suit the band well, and they've maintained good chemistry for 40ish years, no mean feat. Some of those lines (eg. "New Year's Day", "A Sort of Homecoming") were catchy and a lot of fun to learn when I was a young whippersnapper just getting started.

Ha ha ha! I should have known I'd get called out by my favorite Deutschlander in this thread. I pretty much fell off the U2 train a long time ago, but their early records were pretty important during my last year of high school. The style was something new, not passed down from older siblings, and I was intrigued, even though my other favorite band at the time was UK. Clayton does what's needed and nothing more. And like Simon Gallup with the Cure, he's laid down some memorable bass lines that are pivotal to the songs they're in. I was also amused that while his bandmates became more serious in their Christian beliefs, Adam was drinking and womanizing like a proper rock star.  :mrgreen: And the Michael Anthony comparison is spot on.