Author Topic: Your thoughts. Motorhead tribute  (Read 5685 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Your thoughts. Motorhead tribute
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »
  Actually if I put this together I'd call the band Bomber.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »
hey baz, i did not say i didn't like motorhead. i own some of their stuff and listen on occasion although i'm not a hugh fan. i suggest you get the facts straight before you post something. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
Whether or not (and how much) you like Motorhead is irrelevant to the point you were trying to make,  which applies to tributes generally. And really to Baz's as well, though he didn't write it out proper longform. I'm sure there was was no malice in it; it was more like wait for the rest of the gang to vote, it's only been two.

Personally, I say do it... eventually.  It is too soon right now (but not to soon to start putting it together and jamming).  You've got a year to get the right guys, jam it out, pick the rights songs, and get solid on those.  Book the venue well in advance to make sure you get the best date.  Other people in your area will think to do this on the first anniversary (or his birthday; not that I know when that is) too, but likely not be as prepared. You have the advantage on venue, date, promotion and lineup. 

I'm with nofi that I generally don't feel tribute bands as much.  One cool thing a local promoter would do is to have a whole pile of bands not all to similar do 3 songs each; quick change on a shared backline.  That way you get a lot of different interpretations of the band's music and it's more interesting to me, both as spectator and participant.  But that's just me.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »
As long as you can do it justice, I say go ahead and do it.  Can you sing while staring up at the ceiling and playing rhythm guitar on the bass at the same time?

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 08:23:17 PM »
Gonna slap a Thunderbird pickup in that Rick? ;)
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 10:02:53 PM »
i reckon there are some cracking lesser known songs that lemmy played on- the right stuff(robert calvert)the watcher,motorhead,born to go(hawkwind) .Etc...
Louder bass!.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 01:36:46 AM »
A Lemmy tribute, go for it! Song wise I'd include Hawkwind, but that's just because I find Motorhead songs somewhat boring in length. They have some good rock songs, though. I was in an AC/DC tribute band for some years, and the singer could do a passable Lemmy imitation. We ended up doing 'killed by death' for fun on some shows.

Just stay away from that whisky and coke! Uh.. Vodka and orange juice :)

And if anybody needs an overwound Rick bridge p/u for a Lemmy tribute, I'd be happy to donate one.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 03:45:39 AM »
No great Motörhead fan ever (too samey and lemmy's non-voice grates quickly with me), I much preferred his work with Hawkwind whose music also had a jammy aspect I like (Motörhead didn't jam, they had a punkish non-jam ethos which in part explained their popularity in these quarters). Not a fan of tributes either, I find the concept confining though its market has obviously grown (too much! if you ask me!!!). But you want to do this as a one- or two-off and you actually met the man, you also like your bass overloud  :mrgreen:, so it's all good to do it. You need a nipple-taped chick though for that one song with Wendy O Williams.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »
Flash thought: Of course, the subheading on the flyers of Bomber would have to be " A Tribüte to Motörhead"!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
Bomber...? Nope... should be bömber in the Blackletter font, all lowercase, as per the original... I'll post it asap in a suitable font...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
... like these two... just search for Motorhead ttf font and download for free...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 11:50:13 AM »
Knowing Scott, he'll probably use a Douglas Invader rather than a Heinkel 111 as a lighting rig!!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »

Awwwww....... getting shot down by the RAF on the box art - Total bummer!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »
Goes to show what a lumbering sitting duck the Heinkel 111 was that even a Skua - of all British aircraft - could down it!!!

While the pilots' names don't match, the "shot down by a Royal Navy Skua over Norwegian mountains"-scenario (as claimed on the Airfix box) is very reminiscent of the "Into the White" film:

It's based on a true story, the Skua had to crashland too (shortly after downing the Heinkel) and the Brit and German crews collaborated to survive in the nearly arctic cold. Schopis (the Heinkel pilot) and Patridge (the Skua pilot) became friends after the war which they both spent in the enemy's POW camps (Schopis was immediately shipped to a Canadian camp - not to his regret, he didn't like participating in the war at all and was a rather unmilitary person, he would later say that Patridge "saved my life by shooting me down" given the casuality rates of Heinkel crews as the war dragged on), Patridge went back flying but was again shot down on another sortie - a Skua, I tell you! - and went then to a German POW camp.

The life-size Heinkel prop (made from aluminum) from the film can still be seen in Norway close to the hotel where the film was shot (not too far away from where the actiual crashes took place in WW II). The hotel owner asked the film crew whether he could keep it and they said yes, it's now a tourist attraction, I stumbled over it a few years ago when we were vacationing in Norway, initially believing it was a real wreckage (the real Heinkel was pretty much shredded to smithereens as erosion took its course, it crashlanded in an area where it could only be retrieved - small parts of it - decades later). The Skua landed on ice and then sank into a lake in the spring, where it remained pretty much intact until it was salvaged decades later.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:58:28 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 01:49:37 PM »

I think you mentioned "Into the White"  sometime ago, I watched it on Netflix - Quite good!

The ignominy of being shot down by a Skua!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...