Author Topic: Yup, another newbie...  (Read 2787 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Yup, another newbie...
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »
Hey - Battles!  I remember them...  Some other groups I dug in that vein (well, sorta) are Maps and Atlases, Pterodactyl, and Parts & Labor.

Speaking of "toying with the beat" and drums as a melodic instrument, it made me think of some polyrhythmic stuff I saw Chris Dave doing in a trio here with Foley (ex Miles piccolo bassist, and pretty accomplished drummer in his own right).  This is a sonic mashup of a Thelonious Monk song, and bass ostinato was from some rap song (Jurassic 5 was the band, but I forget the song name...):

I've also been into Dave King lately.  He's done some cool stuff with The Bad Plus too- jazz covers of Aphex Twin, Pixies, etc...

Drums are actually my favorite instrument.  Maybe comes from so many years of being glued to a drummer in bands?  My ears always go straight to the drums.  (...oh and I do like Ian/DP for the record, just to remain in good standing here  ;D)

Oh- and welcome aboard, drummer5359!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:27:12 PM by chromium »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Yup, another newbie...
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 08:37:50 AM »
For the avoidance of doubt: I don't mind dragging behind the beat once in a while, that can sound good. But was Bonzo ever ahead of the beat except where he rushed a roll? His drumming never seemed fluid to me. At the same time I always liked the way Bill Ward "swung" with Sabbath while the other two, Toni and Geezer, didn't. That was idiosyncratic with the Sabs.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...