Author Topic: YouTube WTF?  (Read 1012 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
YouTube WTF?
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »
Anyone else now have trouble signing into YouTube? I keep getting crazy notices that I can't sign into my account unless it's linked to a Google account but now everything is crossed up.

PS, I hate Google. It's the devil.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: YouTube WTF?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »
No prob in the UK
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »
They sync'd up at some point, so the Youtube login is the same as the login for other Google services (gmail, etc...).  Its kind of annoying for me since my Youtube account is tied to my secondary/throwaway/spam email address- so whenever I sign into Youtube now, Google bumps me out of my primary gmail account and logs me into the secondary one...

I guess the good news in all this is that it forces me to spend less time signed into Youtube  :P

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »
Google and Gmail and MSLive and whointhehellknows have so many cross-links that I probably have a dozen usernames between them, and I can't cancel ANY of them.  They are their own worst enemies...and they all force you to create a password that's not like anything you ever use anywhere - so I can't login to any of them - the net result is their system is full of trash email accounts that are unused and which they've inflicted on themselves.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
I use Gmail mostly for the garbage I know I'll get when I sign up for Ticketmaster, eTix and other online sites. Google is the devil.

Pilgrim, you're right, I should use this as a reason to spend less time on YouTube.
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
I use Gmail mostly for the garbage I know I'll get when I sign up for Ticketmaster, eTix and other online sites. Google is the devil.

Pilgrim, you're right, I should use this as a reason to spend less time on YouTube.

Gmail has the best spam control of all, by far. Most of it never even gets as far as your spam folder.

Any time I get on a legit mailing list because I bought something online, I just unsubscribe.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:55:37 PM »
I hadn't checked my Gmail account in a long time. There were 300 emails in it, nearly all spam.

What's sneaky about unsubscribing is that it can confirm to those whose sent it that they have a legitimate email address to which they can send more notices or spam.

Spam spam spam spam WONDERFUL spam!
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:23:54 PM »
I hadn't checked my Gmail account in a long time. There were 300 emails in it, nearly all spam.

What's sneaky about unsubscribing is that it can confirm to those whose sent it that they have a legitimate email address to which they can send more notices or spam.

Spam spam spam spam WONDERFUL spam!

I'm talking about unsubscribing from legit sites. Like when you order something from a company and they start sending you sale mailings. I've never had a problem with that.

I was getting 50-plus spam messages a day through my old POP email despite high level spam filtering. I haven't had 50 spam messages total since I started using Gmail about 6 years ago. Of course it all depends on who has your address. At any rate, Gmail's spam filter is widely recognized as the best of the web-based email services.