Author Topic: Cool Koa Carvin Ripper  (Read 1139 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Cool Koa Carvin Ripper
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Carvin-Stereo-Bass-Guitar-Koa-Set-Neck-Beauty-/290477244751?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a1cb014f

I always had a soft spot for Carvins, not sure why. I am intrigued by these Ripper like versions. This appears to have a Koa set neck. Sounds pretty good as well in the video, although I wish he would have played more variety of styles than chords.

The neck alone would be cool to own.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Cool Koa Carvin Ripper
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »
I used to get their catalogs all the time. Never bought anything beyond misc. parts, Tolex, etc.

I wonder what those pickups sound like? Could be good candidates for my 12 string???

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:25:27 AM »
i've had a few carvins over the years because the price seemed right at the time......  usually the basses play pretty good but the electronics where never up to par.  Pickups where ok ,  circuits cheap sounding.   Never made the short rotation for me.....

never had these older styles but from forums the older stuff was worse.  Also seems like a high price for a used carvin. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Hornisse

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »
I had an  all black version of that bass, the LB-50.  They had a slab body and the neck was kind of chunky.  I always liked the 2 humbuckers though. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
Looks like you might need a degree in technology to operate that one... :o

9 switches and 6 pots... :-\
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...