Author Topic: Fender Modern Player Jazz V  (Read 6699 times)

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
Fender Modern Player Jazz V
« on: September 29, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Last week I purchased a new Modern Player Jazz V bass. From what I can gather there aren't many of these out there yet as Fender just introduced them in late July of this year. It's a unique bass for Fender because it incorporates 4 large single coil Jazz pickups (each with 6 poles) placed in pairs of two to create 2 large humbucking pickups. There's a separate volume control for each pickup and a single tone control like most Jazz basses out there but it also has a 4-position rotary pickup selector switch that allows the player to pick between 4 preselected passive pickup combinations.

It comes with a Hi-mass bridge (almost a copy of a Badass-II) which is much more substantial than many of the bridges found on lower cost 5 string basses, I really like the vintage tinted high gloss neck and headstock. As for the neck itself, it's a big one compared to my Music Man Big Al 5-H's neck. But it's still fast and pretty easy to get around for a player with average size hands. The flat 2-tone Brownburst finish on the body is also unique. I'm a glossy kind of guy but this satin finish is really starting to grow on me.

Here's a couple of photos of the beast.

Because I'll be using this bass tuned down a semi-tone, I replaced the stock Fender strings with a set of D'Addario EXL160-5 50-135 gauge strings. A little deepening of the string slots in the nut was required to get a great setup but this way the low B remains under good tension and sounds really solid. 

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Fender Modern Player Jazz V
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »
It's a Roscoe Beck with a preamp!

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:56:53 PM »
I've been meaning to check one of these out.  Where is the truss rod adjustment at on the bass? 

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »
I've been meaning to check one of these out.  Where is the truss rod adjustment at on the bass? 

It's located at the heel of the neck and is a rotary type adjustment. Not the Allan key type.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:30 AM »
It's a Roscoe Beck with a preamp!

Shows you how into Fender Signature Series instruments I am (not).

TD

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 05:44:08 AM »
A few more photos of the MPJV for those interested in this bass.

TD

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
Very nice looking bass.  Those pickups sure do look like the Bill Lawrence designed ones in the Roscoe Beck basses. 

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
I think that  :toast: :toast: :toast:is freaking AWESOME!

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
I ended up returning the MPJV for a full refund. I found the profile of the neck not to my liking. Ordered a Music Man Sterling 5-HH in its place.

TD