Author Topic: It would be nice...  (Read 2023 times)

Spiritbass

• View Profile
It would be nice...
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:53:47 PM »
If Fender would do a medium scale precision and jazz for the U.S. market. I snagged an '85 Japanes Squier Precision recently and have been almost having too much fun with it.   ;)  I'd read that you can't tell the difference tonally between medium and full-scale and of course, had to hear for myself. Seems true to me - this one sounds like a precision should. The guy who re-finished it for me did recommend a pickup swap (Duncan SBP-1) because the stock pickup was too middy. Burgundy Mist is my new favorite vintage color:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: It would be nice...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:21:43 PM »
I like the idea!  Medium scale is just that BIT more friendly to the reach and the fingers.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »
A 32" scale Precision can still sound like a Precision. But there's a definite tonal difference between 32" and 34" scale.

Fender at one time tried the original Stu Hamm Urge Bass in 32" scale and it was a sales dud, not that the later long scale did much better. I doubt there's enough demand for them to market one, and if they did, it would probably just cannibalize existing P sales.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:50:28 AM »
32" seems to be hot. Gretsch has one, Fender has one, Warwick has one, teye has one

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:28:47 AM »
A 32" scale Precision can still sound like a Precision. But there's a definite tonal difference between 32" and 34" scale.

Fender at one time tried the original Stu Hamm Urge Bass in 32" scale and it was a sales dud, not that the later long scale did much better. I doubt there's enough demand for them to market one, and if they did, it would probably just cannibalize existing P sales.

I'm sure you're right Dave, the answer is always economics. I was extremely tempted when a guy from Japan listed one of the 32" Hamms on TB but I didn't spring for it. Regarding cannibalizing their own markets, I think they've succeeded at this with the Squier Classic Vibe series - they really are very good. I have to assume that they are making sense to themselves...!? My sentiment remains the same, "It would be nice", but I'm not holding my breath.  ;)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:25:24 AM »
it would not sell well enough, imo.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:53 PM »
They're fun but they aren't exactly hard to find used or expensive. Supply far exceeds demand. They are a bit of a pain on ebay when people don't know they are medium scale, or they get parted out.

That Stu Hamm thing was great as 32" strings were available from Fender for about 8 weeks.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:33:47 AM »
Did anyone try the 32" Squier Tele Bass?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
Looks good in burgundy mist!  I think 32s are fun to play.

Speaking of differently scaled Fenders... here's a weird little bugger that I saw at a local music store where my son was taking drum lessons.  Not sure exactly what scale it was, but it was in the mid-upper 20"s:

Almost bought it, but figured it would just sit after the novelty wore off.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 07:52:45 AM »
the boutique market has been moving lots of "offscale" basses  the last few years.  CB and Wyn move lots of 32" including 5 and 6 string  and fodera has a 33"  Matt Garrison model (E-C) 5 string and recently introduced a small bass with 32"  scale and 17.5mm  spacing for rhythm guitar players who just happen to play the bass.  I have a few 32" scale basses and they really are pretty comfortable for this average sized body and handed man.  Personally i always felt that the way the bass is built (bridge at far end of the body like a fender versus a gibson style)  is more important than the scale.    I would like to get a 32" scale with the bridge all the way back and see how that feels as all my med scales have bridge creep....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »
If it serves their market, that's fine. OTOH I would be surprised if all those boutique medium scales together make up even 1% of the market.