Author Topic: 1987 pre-regular line Custom Shop TB IV  (Read 11180 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: 1987 pre-regular line Custom Shop TB IV
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
i have not paid attention to the back of the "LullBird". the screwed joint does not seem to be as obtrusive as some set or through necks i have seen. nice!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:27:13 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »

You do see screws, it's a very tight neck joint.

I'm not much of an upper fret player, but I do like how that's addressed in Mike's rework. Ergonomics are improved and the bass "plays" very nicely with no balance or reach issues. As I've said before I really belive Gibson has the shape "right" and I can easily spot theirs vs. an Epi, etc. I'm hopelessly in love with 'Birds  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »
Talking about body cave-ins and cutaways - post my rebuild the "jack" is in the side, and Mr Cook certainly went more radical with the neck access way back in '72

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2011, 05:47:45 PM »

Congrats on the nifty T-bird!

Those are Fallschirmjäger troops on that King Tiger, by the way.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:26:40 PM by Dave W »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

eb2

• View Profile
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
... Those are Fallschirmjäger troops on that King Tiger, by the way.

Reading about the Fallschirmjager troops and the weaponry they used is very interesting. Especially the developement of the FG 42 rifle and its impact on modern rifles, notibly the M-14, M-60 and variants like the M-39 EMR and the M1941 Johnson machine gun. The FG 42 is the basis of todays assault rifle designs.

Interesting research if you care to follow through.

There has to be a conection to the Gibson Custom Shop T-Bird in there somewhere!!!  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:08:20 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »
So, if sustain is about keeping the vibration in the strings - string through the body gives what? Less sustain, more resonance?

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »
Reading about the Fallschirmjager troops and the weaponry they used is very interesting. Especially the developement of the FG 42 rifle and its impact on modern rifles, notibly the M-14, M-60 and variants like the M-39 EMR and the M1941 Johnson machine gun. The FG 42 is the basis of todays assauut rifle designs.

Interesting research if you care to follow through.

There has to be a conection to the Gibson Custom Shop T-Bird in there somewhere!!!  ;) ;D

I think the M60 was developed more using the MG42 as a basis: more of a heavy machine gun. The FG 42 was more of an assault rifle. The early ones had a crazy, extremely angled pistol grip. I'd own one!

Hmm, seeking a Gibson connection to German weapons, maybe the all used "illegally" obtained wood?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »
So, if sustain is about keeping the vibration in the strings - string through the body gives what? Less sustain, more resonance?

that would explain why i see pictures of string through basses with the e and a through strung and the other two on the bridge or tailpiece or vice versa.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:23:28 AM by sniper »

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2011, 12:37:16 PM »
that would explain why i see pictures of string through basses with the e and a through strung and the other two on the bridge or tailpiece or vice versa.

I believe that's done to show you can use the bridge with both systems

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
oh  :-[

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2011, 02:25:21 PM »

Not much string energy will make it past the bridge saddles. Everything makes some difference, at least in feel, maybe an audible difference. But the bridge is where most of the energy is transmitted to the body or not.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2011, 04:58:48 AM »
I would expect that a string-thru set up gives more sustain as there is greater saddle pressure while non-string thru with less saddle pressure will let the bass breathe more and sound more resonant. As such the set-up in the above pics (which I have seen before on other bridges too) does make sense as more than just a demonstration of what can be done. Deep sounding E and A with lively D and G is a preference of many bassists.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »
I believe that's done to show you can use the bridge with both systems

I've actually done that before though, on purpose. I had a five string bass (never mind the brand....) where the B string in a set of strings was too big and wouldn't fit through the top load hole, but would fit strung through the body. So I had the B through the body and all the rest through the bridge.