Author Topic: Band #2 ready to rock  (Read 4656 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Band #2 ready to rock
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »
Dave, imagine Leo Sayer with CCR as his backing band playing a Banjo  8)   In some bizarre way it actually works.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »
With that much CCR how can you not cover "Fortunate Son"...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 12:38:28 PM »
yeah, the boys keep telling me the same thing  ;D

Even funnier is the fact that the originals have a distinctive CCR sound to them.

Some Blue Ridge Rangers should round out your sound.   ;D
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »
Well, we had what was supposed to be our last practice before the gig.  I found out that at least one song, I had no copy of.  I had no clue on the Nickelback song.  Also, I found that the guitarist, who's working from tabs, has some different chord changes on songs that I know I have right.  We'll have to find out how get in synch.  I've asked for a Friday night practice, since we still haven't run through the entire set list yet.  We got through about 2 sets last night, and it was better than I was expecting.  I am so screwed!!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »
I am so screwed!!!

Hey there fella, y'all must be a BASS player!!!   ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
Dave, imagine Leo Sayer with CCR as his backing band playing a Banjo  8)   In some bizarre way it actually works.

That makes me feel like dancing.  ;D

I won't hijack the thread but there's an awesome YouTube video of Leo doing Tumbling Dice with Linda Ronstadt. Just so you know.  8)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
Hey Gary here is an excerpt from my review of the John Mayall show here recently that you may find a few parallels with  :mrgreen:

"At one point he (Mayall) announced that they would be playing a song by one of Australia's premier blues bands the Bondi Cigars. Bassist Greg Rzab (12 years with Buddy Guy plus a huge list of other notables) looked at Mayall, spread his hands and said "man I dont know that song". JM grinned and got drummer Jay Davenport to start. Rzab started playing a pentatonic groove which had a good swing to it. They got about 6 bars in and Mayall stopped them saying it needed to be more snappy. Away they went again with Rzab intently chasing the changes and to be honest looking a bit stressed. Far from looking amateurish it came across as a band that were enthusiastic enough to play outside their comfort zone not to mention a song that Australian blues listeners are familiar with and they did it it well.
I loved the fact that it humanised a guy like Greg Rzab. I told him this after the show and he said that he hadn't considered that it would come across that way.
"

Good luck with the show mate  :thumbsup:

@ Dave: Now that little Leo is a certified Aussie maybe a phone call to his agent could be fun?  "So, Leo how do you feel about CCR and banjo's?"       heheh  :mrgreen:
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 04:41:21 AM »
Well, we made it through the night with only one fatality.  My amp.  Near the end of the second set, it crapped out.  It sounds like a popped cap.  I had that happen a couple years back.  I tried to make it through the last set, but the screaching noise took over to the point where you couldn't really hear notes anymore.  The house PA also vanished before we set up (it was pulled, and sent to another club for a local talent contest).  We had to scramble to get a PA. 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 08:29:30 AM »
Well, we made it through the night with only one fatality.  My amp.  Near the end of the second set, it crapped out.  It sounds like a popped cap.  I had that happen a couple years back.  I tried to make it through the last set, but the screaching noise took over to the point where you couldn't really hear notes anymore.  The house PA also vanished before we set up (it was pulled, and sent to another club for a local talent contest).  We had to scramble to get a PA. 

Dang.  The old "bring the backup amp" raises its head whenever you don't have one, right??
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »
Yeah, I didn't have room for it, anyway.  It was at rehearsal.  I've been looking for a small head to lug around, *just in case.*

I could get a deal on an Ashdown Little Giant.  If someone made a 1-space rack mount amp, I'd probably go for that, since I always have my rack bag with the Furman and the tuner with me.  I'll also look at a Markbass head later on this week.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »
I have a backup - it's a Sunn 300-coliseum.  Weighs as much as my Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 head AND one of the 12T speakers combined.

Maybe I should bring the little Hartke 1400 instead.  It's about 10 pounds..but it's not a Sunn.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 09:41:17 AM »
I'll play ....... set-list from my Rockabilly band King Rattler (75% upright, 25% electric):

1.18 miles to memphis - Stray Cats A   
2.5 Years, 4 Months, 3 Days - Brian Setzer E   
3.59 - Setzer D   
4.Aint Gonna Do it   Bb
5.Big River - Johnny Cash F   
6.Black Slacks - R.Gordon & D.Gatton A   
7.Bonzai Washout - Dick Dale Em   
8.C'mon Every body - Eddie Cochrane E   
9.Come On Lets Go - Los Lobos A   
10.Crazy Little Thing Called Love   D   
11.Dont You Touch me Baby - Stray Cats Em   
12.Dreams - Surf Coasters Am   
13.Gene and Eddie - Stray Cats E   
14.Gone - Lee Rocker Am   
15.Good Time Charlie     x
16.Heads Up - Big Daddy G G x
17.Highway is my home - Lee Rocker E   
18.I Believe I'm in Love - Fabulous Thunderbirds C   
19.I want you to be my baby - Colin James Bb   
20.I Won't Stand In Your Way - Stray Cats C   
21.If You Need Me - Colin James G   
22.Little Sister - Dwight Yoakam E   
23.Marie Marie - Blasters G   
24.My Gal is Red Hot - Link Wray C   
25.Mystery train   E   
26.NIGHT TRAIN - Andy J. Forest F   
27.Rock This House - Hollywood Fats G   
28.Rockin' harder - Lee Rocker C   
29.Sleepwalk - Santo and Johnny C   
30.Swing Party - The Rockin' Highliners Bb   
31.Tailspin - Los Straitjackets Am   
32.The Hucklebuck - Big Blue G   
33.The Hustle is on - Thunderbirds Bb x
34.Ubangi Stomp - R.Gordon & D. Gatton A   
35.Whammer Jammer - J Geils Band E   
36.So long baby, Goodby – The Blasters

Alternates:

37.All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down - The Mavericks  A   
38.Matchbox - Mavericks A   
39.Caledonia     
40.Heads Up

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »
My Ashdown should be ready in a week or so.  Needs new caps.  I also have a line on an Eden WT400 in good shape for $300.  I may just pick that up for the spare.  I found that the Markbass F1 is a one-space, rackmount amp coming in at about 4.5 lbs.  It would be perfect for me, but it would run me at least $650.  I have a bag that I could line with foam for the Eden to protect it, so that looks like the better way to go.  The guy at GC said he could have the Markbass in for me in a week, and I told him that I wasn't planning to buy it without trying it first.  He left on that note.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 12:37:27 PM »
i am kind of anal that way after having  a few amps die mid gigs over the years.  I always have two amps in each rack usually the same or close.  Rather expensive but makes life a whole lot easier.

i have an ampeg rack -b5 and B? (ampeg attempt at going digital a few years back - got it cheap of ebay as NOS  ..  hartke rack 7000 and 3500,   fender bxr 300 rack - great old small venue amp. 
if i am going non rack Sunn, Acoustic, Peavey   ( no more SVT's  - my back can't handle the weight)  then i bring along a yamaha amp (digital also) that goes up to 600 watts into 2 ohms so truly covers all speaker combos for me. 

I tend to not put much bass in the PA unless I have no choice.....

Also nice thing about double amp racks in larger venues i tend to use the second as a slave with different speakersizes  and always have one  clean channel.....

It is expensive but a lot of my gigs are in the NYC area and i live in a small town in the suburb's so running home to get an amp between sets doesn't work well. 

I guess i have too much stuff........ MY favorite expression is I am spending mykids inheritance :-))))))) but they don't laugh at that joke.

Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM