Author Topic: NOS 70s T-Bird pup covers  (Read 1834 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
NOS 70s T-Bird pup covers
« on: October 02, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »
I don't know if this has been discussed already, I know they've been going on the 'bay for a while now....

Anyway, I got a pair yesterday, and they are beautiful, flawless, and truly NOS looking. Not to mention a bargain at forty bucks each, complete with trim rings. These will be used for my (hopefully) upcoming Bachbird project.

And if anyone's interested, they will NOT fit over the current black plastic Bird pups. I thought I might get lucky, as I have a pair of those sitting around, but I guess I'll be sending them off to Mr. Duncan for the guts.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: NOS 70s T-Bird pup covers
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:48:12 AM »

"
"And if anyone's interested, they will NOT fit over the current black plastic Bird pups. I thought I might get lucky, as I have a pair of those sitting around, but I guess I'll be sending them off to Mr. Duncan for the guts."

Ahhhh.......see here friend, it can be done! Just be very careful.

There are at least two variations of black plastic covered 'Bird pups, the one to the front is late 80's production, the other is more current. The plastic was peeled from these, it comes off easily and they will then fit the covers, it's drilling for the mounting screws that can cause real problems. Scott (bassVI) and I have both tried this, mine are now on my white '89 'Bird so its like drbassman's recently retrofitted one. Props to George for the inspiration tho, he did it first  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 11:49:07 AM »
You're my hero!  ;)

I was thinking of peeling the plastic off. Would save me a pile of cash, that's for sure. Now that I know someone else has done it, I think I will do the same. Any tips on drilling the holes besides "be careful"? And did you epoxy them in or anything? BTW - mine look like the current version.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »

I used a fine razor saw to start a groove in the plastic the used some small Xuron metal cutters to grasp and peel off the plastic, it sounds completely barbaric (Sorry Uwe!) but it went well and only took a few minutes to peel each one. They pups fit the covers very tightly, so much so, that I didn't even both to pot them, but in retrospect it's likely a good idea to. What ever you want to use to pot, it won't take much. Drilling the holes is easy enough on the ends, I drilled pilot holes by hand being careful not to nick the coils I finished using a larger bit in an electric drill. I did not try to drill at the opposing center hole! It just looked too close to the coil, I wrecked one pup trying, please don't make my mistake! The pups mount just fine with 2 screws and some stiff foam underneath, so I dummied the third center screw into place with some epoxy - it works fine, and you can't tell. The pups sound a bit on the clankey side with the metal covers, sorry I don't have a soundclip to post, I rather like it tho. 

In this pic the older pup is in the bridge position, because of it's construction I could mount a screw thru the center hole, the newer pup is in the bridge postion.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »
Good call on the middle hole. I was thinking of just gluing a screw head on there anyway.

Clanky you say? Did I mention I'm a Ric player?  ;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 07:38:09 PM »

Yeah, it reminds me of my now gone 4001, it definately sounds different with those metal pup covers.
Chrome = Goodness  ;) Clankey goodness!   Go for it.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »
God, I love those pickguards. :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »

Thanks Ray! 

All those years of painting scale model electric trains.............I finally made something useful  ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 06:44:31 AM »
Man you guys are tempting me to fiddle with my white TB...............
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 07:46:55 AM »
What about using a stationary disc sander to slowly remove the plastic?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 09:40:41 AM »
What about using a stationary disc sander to slowly remove the plastic?

No need to do this......The black plastic is just a shell kinda like an M&M candy, you can just break small pieces of it off. I did try sanding but it'd take way longer.   

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 10:18:38 AM »
Peeling it off would be safer than sanding IMO.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 01:04:32 PM »
The black plastic is just a shell kinda like an M&M candy, you can just break small pieces of it off.

I just hope it doesn't melt in my hands!

I'm just gonna make two small cuts with a hack saw and start peeling.