Author Topic: Silence Is Golden  (Read 3531 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Silence Is Golden
« on: September 25, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »
Rivoli or EB-2?

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: Silence Is Golden
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:20:39 PM »
Looks like a Rivoli to me, thought I saw the Eppi E on the pickguard too. Not an expert though but I did own an EB-2 a while ago and hopefully will own another one.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »
It's a Rivoli.  You can see the headstock when they pan across the front of the stage.

I've always liked this pretty pop ditty...

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »
Those guys could sing, especially live, I've never seen this clip before.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »
Rivoli! :mrgreen:

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »
Ought to be a Rivoli, since the EbII:s were seldom seen on the British music scene of the 60's. At the moment I can only remember Keith Grant of Downliners Sect playing one, though there of course must be some other players, too. The Rivolis were very popular amongst British bassists in those days. Did Epiphone have better ways to take care of business, than Gibson? If so, how come? Anyone in the know?

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »
There was for some reason an effort by Gibson to ship Epis over there.  They were actually pretty rare in most parts of the US, as Epis were for music shops in areas where larger shops had the Gibson authorized dealership.  I don't really know why, but that was the way it went.  Just an odd thing, kind of the way Rickenbacker shipped odd variants of their stuff, and Fender shipped most of the slab P-basses over to the UK.  One of which was in the hands of the Tremeloes bass guy seen here.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 04:35:40 AM »
and I thought this was about Uwe being AWOL...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 09:25:18 AM »
I figured it was more likely to be a Rivoli since they were so much more common than EB2s in the UK in the 60s. I just couldn't see well enough to be sure.

Why more Epis back then? Remember Gibson had only bought Epi in the late 50s. It's quite possible that Epi had a much bigger dealer network already in place in the UK and Gibson just kept those dealerships, going with what they had until they gradually merged the two networks. But I'm just guessing.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 09:34:19 AM »
No matter what, it's quite interesting to watch the changing habits when British groups hit the charts after The Beatles break-through. About the only group I can remember using Fenders, between The Shadows and Hendrix, was The Swinging Blue Jeans who used a Stratocaster, and a Jazz Bass. Everywhere else it was Gibson, Epiphone and Gretsch all over the place. And some Guilds, too. It also seems like the guitar of (economic?) choice, before these brands, where Hofners. But very seldom Fenders. So one can ask why? Was it the connection to the old school, Ventures, Shadows, and so on?
All right! Let's divide into small groups, and discuss the matter. Start.... Now!!!
- Hmmm, interesting... but what about Duane Eddy? Wasn't he into Gretsches?
- Now, that's correct. But remember, he was an American artist.
- Yeah, right... But what about Terry Dene?
And so on...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 09:46:01 AM »
Didn't the Alan Howard, the bassist in the earlier version of the Tremeloes (Brian Poole & the Tremeloes) use a Fender Precision?

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 03:30:13 PM »
Brian Poole & The Tremeloes were an altogether different proposition from the later Trems. And with solid body guitars like The Shadows and The Ventures.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:38:35 PM by Dave W »

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 09:28:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of Chas Chandler with an EB-2 before.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 06:18:05 AM »
Chas did have an EB-2. He sold most of his basses to help finance Jimi's first LP.

If it wasn't for the weak E string output I wouldn't mind having another Rivoli, but till then the Casady scratches the hollowbody itch.