Author Topic: I'm a gonna stay BEAD on the TB!  (Read 1743 times)

PWV

• View Profile
I'm a gonna stay BEAD on the TB!
« on: September 23, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »
So I had my Thunderbird set up with TI Jazz Rounds (real thin gauge) for B-E-A-D tuning and it is amazing!

I don't think I could pull it off at a jazz or country gig, but the church gig and its new Christian rock stuff its great!  Using a pick too, and I"m having a blast.  Most of the church stuff is just like being in a U2 Tribute band anyway, so this tuning seems to work on the fly.

At this point, the TBird seems like it was always made for the B string.  I'm not having floppy issues, guage is thin enough so it sits in the nut.  Maybe I'm at the end of the GAS road finally!

;)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: I'm a gonna stay BEAD on the TB!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »

Dave.......

Which 'Bird?   Pics?  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
Its like the one in my Avatar that I sold Mark.  Buyer's remorse led me to purchase an identical-looking one, but the original was a blem with offset pickups.  (Remember you warned me not to get rid of it).  This one is better all-around....but no pics yet!  I'll get around to it. 

*Still waiting for the Fenderbird from Mike.  Looks like next month.*   

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:14:11 PM »
*Off-topic Mark - but you're almost at 666 posts.  Let us know which thread gets the Evil post! *

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »
Cool idea! I assume the strings aren't causing any problems with the neck.  I've thought about trying that too.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:47:16 AM »
So I had my Thunderbird set up with TI Jazz Rounds (real thin gauge) for B-E-A-D tuning and it is amazing!

I don't think I could pull it off at a jazz or country gig, but the church gig and its new Christian rock stuff its great!  Using a pick too, and I"m having a blast.  Most of the church stuff is just like being in a U2 Tribute band anyway, so this tuning seems to work on the fly.

At this point, the TBird seems like it was always made for the B string.  I'm not having floppy issues, guage is thin enough so it sits in the nut.  Maybe I'm at the end of the GAS road finally!

;)

Which strings are they???  My bandmates miss the range my SR5 had, and this might be just the thing...especially since I like to be down a whole step, then drop the now D to a C...

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:16:01 AM »
Which strings are they???  My bandmates miss the range my SR5 had, and this might be just the thing...especially since I like to be down a whole step, then drop the now D to a C...

They're the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Nickel Roundwound JR345's:

The B string is only .118 (E=.089, A= .068, D = .051) so they're thinner I'm used to, but they work great on the TB's neck imo. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:05:40 AM »
Keep in mind that even with a larger gauge, a B will usually have lower tension than the G it's replacing in a BEAD setup. For example, using D'addario's tension figures for a 45-130 XL nickel wound long scale set, the 130 B has 34.5 lbs. tension, while the 045 G has 42.8 lbs. tension. And in the 40-125 set, the 125 B  is 31.4 lbs., the 040 G is 33.7 lbs.

So going BEAD isn't likely to put more tension on the neck. In some cases you may have to loosen the truss rod.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
Thanks Dave - it does feel lower in tension.  But I'm not sure I follow you on the "B replacing the G" - I've got the B replacing the E.   Maybe I misunderstand - I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to set-up anyway!   ???

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 12:29:12 PM »
I just meant that you're removing the G on the upper end and adding a B on the lower end. Your E A and D tension is unchanged, the B will probably be lower in tension that the G you no longer have.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
OK I get it!   ;D

Yes, the tension is low enough on that B where you can't really slap or pop (which I don't do anyway) without getting some floppiness.  But playing with the pick seems to level that issue...