Author Topic: what goes good with Mud?  (Read 2313 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
what goes good with Mud?
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »
other than my baby sisters mud pies! (yuck)

what goes well with a Mudbucker? a ripper pup, a T-Bird pup ..... got any ideas?  2 coil Jazz pup (God almighty - may i never!!!!!!!!!!! but stranger things have happened)

where's Uwe when you need him?

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: what goes good with Mud?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »
 Maybe one of the Lindy Fralin Tbird pups ? They are 60's tbird guts in a chrome standard size humbucker cover.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 01:35:01 PM »
other than my baby sisters mud pies! (yuck)

what goes well with a Mudbucker? a ripper pup, a T-Bird pup ..... got any ideas?  2 coil Jazz pup (God almighty - may i never!!!!!!!!!!! but stranger things have happened)

where's Uwe when you need him?

Another MUDbucker?

I added both in my Tbird; have no pics as I am refinishing her.
Full one pelvic bass shaggin'

Technophobia; pedals and more

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:37:08 PM »
Dang that looks good a chromed up Fexplorer raised center with Fralins = you been holding out on me you DOG!!!

that might be a good idea as i am trying to think of what would go with project 3 and that Gibby Mudbucker and lose the old EB cover.

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/cathousemouse/SG%20Build%20or%20Trade/?action=view&current=100_2330.jpg

I got the bridge and the tuners for an Explorer project!!!

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
The Rio Grande Pitbull sounds great with the mudbucker on my project EB-0/3

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:56:15 PM »
And I understand the the Pitbull is basically an overwound Fender Tele pup (or pups) in a Humbucker cover. There might be something to this Fender/Gibson pup marriage idea.

Both of these ideas of the Fralin or the Pitbull have me thinking. I know Curt does a two coil "P" pup (even a Charlie Christian bass wind) and or a two coil Jazz pup both of which should jibe with a Mudbuckers two coils. The Fralin would definately look better, anything F-wordish looking would stand out like a product of the "Postman" with a Mudbucker!

Scott even has me thinking of project #4 and a Dimarzio "G" if I could find one. More about that in mods and repairs later.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:47:10 PM »
i have had great success using a artec hxtna-bk as the rear pickup with a 66 mudbucker in the front.seems to cover the whole range.
Louder bass!.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:24:31 AM »
has anyone tried a ripper pickup with a mudbucker?just a thought as they are both sidewinders.
Louder bass!.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 03:32:59 AM »
Don't hit me and I'm not saying it looks nice, but a P Bass split coil does. You end up with a nice combo of higher mids and ooomph. The Yamaha Billy Sheehan Sig model proves that.

I've also combined mudbuckers with:

- TB Plus pups (on my bullet wound EB-0L, a ferocious combination),

- with the stacked humbucker faux Jazz Bass look pup of an RD Standard (on my seventies EB-0 which I had refinned ivory, the two pups now create a Ric'ish sound),

- with the SG-Z "Z" pups (on my ebony SG-Z which finally has balls after this act).

Really, a mudbucker goes with a lot of other pups. They should have strong higher mids though. Ironically, those other pups always dominate the mudbucker (which sounds so massive on its own) if you operate them together, it becomes a sub-lows boost so to say, but that is a very welcome effect if you have a well-sounding (non-mudbucker) pup, yet yearn for that kalamazooomph rush with it.

Uwe

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:52:10 AM »
Has anyone tried a ripper pickup with a mudbucker?just a thought as they are both sidewinders.

The ripper pup is too tame, too low of output to balance, in my opinion.

You need a higher out put, hot pickup.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:34:09 AM by Barklessdog »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:09:07 AM »
OK I'm taking notes here.   Uwe is that a technical term?  ("kalamazooomp")  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »
kalamazooomph... too bad they lost it by taming, then dropping the mudbucker and leaving Michigan.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »
I've always wondered about combining a neck mudbucker with a bridge Ric pickup.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 12:26:15 PM »
I use a Delano Alnico Jazz pickup in my Mel Schacher inspired Jazz build. It works nicely but one thing to consider is that even when you run both pickups the Jazz might be humming since it is intended to have a "mate" to cancel the hum. It only happened to me once though during a sound check and I believe it was some other power consuming device in the house causing it because it disappeared after a while. I never tried it but I suppose that a pickup that is wound hot (like 13k+) would not cancel out the oompf from the Mudbucker as much as (in my case 7-8k) a pickup with low resistance partly shortcuts the Mudbuckers output to ground when wired in parallell. Actually when wired parallell the total impedance is lower.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
I never tried it but I suppose that a pickup that is wound hot (like 13k+) would not cancel out the oompf from the Mudbucker as much as (in my case 7-8k) a pickup with low resistance partly shortcuts the Mudbuckers output to ground when wired in parallell. Actually when wired parallell the total impedance is lower.

This might fit the bill then:

http://www.wdmusic.com/musicman_reg_bass_pickup_29693_prd1.htm

13k, bar pole pieces (no string spacing problems), 4 lead = switchable from parallel to series with a wide spacing between poles. it exceeds output of most the high output "P" aftermarket pups i have found  by 1 or 2k (think Dimarzio except the split "P" at 19k which is closer to an X2NB me thinks)

and black Uwe so it won't cause any damage from "chrome" radiation sickness lol, although it would look better with a polished stainless/chrome custom trim ring!