Author Topic: T bird home brew fun  (Read 1846 times)

eb2

• View Profile
T bird home brew fun
« on: September 12, 2008, 07:02:02 PM »
Just in case you want to read a fun Firebird and Tbird approach, check this:  http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=22343
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: T bird home brew fun
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:33:39 PM »
WOW! That is awesome. Some serious drawing/programming going on. Looks like you have a point to point machine? I have a nesting based machine in my shop. Now if I could only get someone to draw up a non-rev T Bird for me.........  :mrgreen:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 06:16:54 AM »
Holy Crap ! And I do everything by hand and hand power tools ! Seriously with technology like that there is no reason Gibson can't make us anything we want. Looks great btw.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:54:02 AM »
yes, I agree. Why the hell can't they make a 1964 reverse and 65 non reverse with the chrome and nickel pickups, bridge and BIG headstock??? How about a limited anniversary edition made out of Korina???

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:17:39 AM »
with that programming available, GOT's bridges, the tail pieces, duncan or fralins's pups, Butches wiring harnesses not to mention ReRanches products why do we have to wait for Bach to do none reverse T-Bird's?

build basses or kits and sell'em.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »
I fully agree. Make em Korina, so they're different from Gibson and these will KILL!!! I'm hoping to win that t bird pickup cover on ebay and see if I can have a stamp made. I interviewed at a place a while ago that had giant stamping machines. I really do believe that it can be done cost ineffectively.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
I've been following that thread a RR and thinking the same thing........one of the high schools here in the OKC area has a CNC machine, for the woodworking class, the shop teacher talked with me for awhile about coming into the class and giving a few "pointers" as he is planning on having the class build guitars as the class project, although ( and this is the old school in me ) I think it's a bit odd to basically hand the kids an almost finished guitar and say "here's your shop project". I say that because that's essentially what the instructor told me he wanted to do, the programming for the machine and most of the cutting will be done without much involvement from the students for time and safety reasons. Anyway my main interest is in checking out the machine, not that I'm not interested in the kid's education, but.......... if anything comes from this I'll let you know. Anything can happen in our local school system, the "board" could decide to veto any guitar building, because you know what kind of lifestyle Rock n' Roll and such promotes. The poor kids will probably end up making something safe like baseball bats on a hundred-thousand dollar CNC machine ( and getting an "A" in woodshop  :mrgreen: )
In the meantime and back on track, does anyone have access to a CNC? Even though I'm proud of my skills, I'm not to proud to put together a "kit" NR 'Bird!
I will commend the guy on the RR forum, his Firebird looks great.

NR Thunderbird designed by Gibson, built in someones garage!

:toast:

Scott
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:02:37 AM »
In the meantime and back on track, does anyone have access to a CNC?

Yeah, I have a $125K Biesse machine just outside my office door. I don't know what we'd need to load it up with tool wise to do that kind of work, but I'm pretty sure it's a more advanced machine than the point to point one shown making the Firebird. We've just got 1/4'' and 1/2'' cutting bits, some drill bits, and a fly cutter loaded up right now.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:06:47 AM »
HMMMMMMMM! :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:33:32 AM »
The complicated / cost part is in the programming.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 01:59:38 PM »
I suppose the programming is the tough part, but the execution is a hoot!  I first got wind of these cottage industry CNC guitars and basses maybe a year or two ago, as some guy had programmed one to make a Rick 4001.  And it looks like the reverse bird is in the works asap, so I would love to see a homebrew non-reverse.  Of course the old Bohemia project is good too.  It is just that as far as cooking it up in the garage, it looks more doable than I would have thought.

I don't mind the regular style heel myself.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.