Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

New Epiphone Thunderbird video

<< < (3/19) > >>

bassilisk:
So the question remains - how close do they sound to the real thing?

Or are they far enough away to warrant a $400 pickup upgrade?

4stringer77:
The whole bass just costs $399. What are they paying the Chinese that make these things with? Anything, a sack of rice or maybe just the end of a bullwhip? No wonder Gibson isn't making basses.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: 4stringer77 on July 11, 2017, 07:48:51 AM ---The whole bass just costs $399. What are they paying the Chinese that make these things with? Anything, a sack of rice or maybe just the end of a bullwhip? No wonder Gibson isn't making basses.

--- End quote ---

Of the two, I'd rather have the Embassy. The lower price is a bonus.

Gibson has a couple of state-of-the-art factories there. No doubt they pay the prevailing wages. We may think the price is ultra-low, maybe because of the classic styling, but there are plenty of other MIC basses in that price range. No reason for the Embassy to be any different.

4stringer77:
The workers in those factories may be enjoying a relatively comfortable standard of living, still having instruments offered at such a low price here effectively undervalues and undermines the rest of the domestic market. It makes me upset that it's taken for granted and people drool over getting these cheap basses while other producers large and small have to languish. I can't buy one of these thunderbirds or Embassy basses in good conscience without considering the economic ramifications.

patman:
At this stage in my life I would consider a Gibson if it were priced reasonably...

$2500 in my book is utterly outrageous for a T Bird.

If it were competitive with Fender and RiC offerings, they might sell a few more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version