Author Topic: EB3 for T-Bird trade?  (Read 3144 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: EB3 for T-Bird trade?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »
As the proud owner of 5 T-Birds, I don't recommend getting rid of one.  The Epi EB-3 Elitist is a great option as suggested and pretty affordable.  I've been thinking about snagging one to refinish in white or sonic blue.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »
I hate getting rid of any bass, but I think it's easier when you have some overlap in sound - like Ray's Orville and late-model Gibson Tbirds probably have.  If I ever have to dump something, it will be the basses that cover a wider range of tones - like the Magnum and AEB-1.  While the bases themselves are special to me, their sound honestly isn't - not as much as some, anyway.  I could get those sounds on other basses (or close enough, anyway).

I love my 68/69 EB-3 for live playing.  I use it a lot in a classic rock outfit, and it gets that nice dirty, punchy Andy-Fraser-ish tone on varitone position-3 thru the Orange+SVT stack.  Position-1 works great too, but I have to EQ it, notching out the sub-lows to really be effective (at least with my 10" SVT drivers), or distort the heck out of it - which can be quite a breathtaking experience.  The EB-0 (same year) works pretty good live for that matter, but I tend to like having the bridge pickup (on these basses) in live settings.  Just my taste - adds a bit more bite.  I think the EB-0 might be my favorite home recording bass, though.  I just love the deep, rich tone that it gets.

Honestly - I don't think you could go wrong trying an old EB-3 on.  The late model bird is easy to replace, and the old EB-3 would be easy to sell if things don't gel.  With basses, I kind of like changing it up - going from long to short to mid to Ric scale.  They're all fun in their own ways, and inspire different types of playing.  Keeps me entertained.   ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 10:27:15 AM »
I hate getting rid of any bass, but I think it's easier when you have some overlap in sound - like Ray's Orville and late-model Gibson Tbirds probably have.  If I ever have to dump something, it will be the basses that cover a wider range of tones - like the Magnum and AEB-1.  While the bases themselves are special to me, their sound honestly isn't - not as much as some, anyway.  I could get those sounds on other basses (or close enough, anyway).

I love my 68/69 EB-3 for live playing.  I use it a lot in a classic rock outfit, and it gets that nice dirty, punchy Andy-Fraser-ish tone on varitone position-3 thru the Orange+SVT stack.  Position-1 works great too, but I have to EQ it, notching out the sub-lows to really be effective (at least with my 10" SVT drivers), or distort the heck out of it - which can be quite a breathtaking experience.  The EB-0 (same year) works pretty good live for that matter, but I tend to like having the bridge pickup (on these basses) in live settings.  Just my taste - adds a bit more bite.  I think the EB-0 might be my favorite home recording bass, though.  I just love the deep, rich tone that it gets.

Honestly - I don't think you could go wrong trying an old EB-3 on.  The late model bird is easy to replace, and the old EB-3 would be easy to sell if things don't gel.  With basses, I kind of like changing it up - going from long to short to mid to Ric scale.  They're all fun in their own ways, and inspire different types of playing.  Keeps me entertained.   ;D

Well, you are certainly right.  I just have this incurable love to TBs of any kind.  You are so right about the "replacement" of a modern TB.  It's easy enough.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »

"Well, you are certainly right.  I just have this incurable love to TBs of any kind.  You are so right about the "replacement" of a modern TB.  It's easy enough'

I'd generally agree with this however, I seem to recall several of you looking for white 'Birds which are now out of production........My '89 is finally a collectable piece! (hah!)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 11:00:39 AM »
"Well, you are certainly right.  I just have this incurable love to TBs of any kind.  You are so right about the "replacement" of a modern TB.  It's easy enough'

I'd generally agree with this however, I seem to recall several of you looking for white 'Birds which are now out of production........My '89 is finally a collectable piece! (hah!)

Ah, yes, white.  Didn't think of that.  I'm glad I have mine already!

rockinrayduke

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »
Mr.Hornung and Ms. Rommel have made a convincing argument. I'm keeping the Bird and I'll just get along with my Epi.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »

Ray,

Just buy more basses......you know you want to  :D

I really have to be a bad influence, if only to help relive my very bad G.A.S. for one of those Orange Expbirds.......I wantee SO bad!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rockinrayduke

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »
Went to GC after work, picked up some new strings for the Bird plus a new G-K 1001RB. Just played it for 2 hours straight through the new amp. Thanks for talking me down from the ledge!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 11:18:41 PM »

GK 1001 = BIG THUMBS UP!  I love mine! that and 2 4x10 SBX's, best rig ever!  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 11:15:51 AM »
Hey Ray, I didn't say keep the 05 Bird and don't buy something new, I said don't trade the 05 TB AND buy something new!!! Just like Gordon Gekko in Wall Street said: "Gas is good."

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

rockinrayduke

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 09:26:18 AM »
Right on Uwe. Played the EB3 and the Bird through the new 1001 RB at last night's gig and the band LOVED it. They thought it sounded better than the T-Bird (I don't necessarily agree)

I'll get a Gibson EB3 somewhere down the line, if I really can't stand the GAS anymore I'll call Kebo and snag one.