Author Topic: RIP Ed Gagliardi  (Read 3039 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: RIP Ed Gagliardi
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 08:25:42 AM »
I still have this vision of a picture of Foreigner I saw in Circus magazine. Big stage (some multi-band outdoor thing). There was an extra drum kit for Gramm, and Ed was playing a lefty, greenburst Ric copy. RIP sir...

I don't know if Foreigner ever really WAS a "band", but if they were, that definitely ended before their third record came out. It basically became the Jones/Gramm project. Gramm was a phenomenal singer, but I think I might have been born with an allergy to AOR. I remember being 13, having just started playing bass, when Foreigner and Journey suddenly hit the airwaves. Even as a little know-nothing, something didn't sound right to me. It just seemed totally contrived. I think "commercial" was the word I used. Then I had to live through it all in high school with REO, Loverboy, Billy Squire... Hated it all at the time, as I was digging back into old 70s prog.  8) No offense meant, I'm just telling the story of a teenage kid! Looking back, I have MUCH more appreciation for a lot of that stuff now. Some really good songwriting and production going on. And now that I'm 50, I don't have to apologize for sounding like a grumpy old man - popular music in the new millennium BLOWS! I'd like to fire bomb Max Martin's place (kidding...). I'm kind of enjoying the new trend of re-hashed 70s rock and roll - Rival Sons, Winery Dogs, California Breed, Moonkings...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »
You're in good company, when AOR was in its heyday, I was always derisive about it. But it has more musical longevity than I thought back then.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 08:22:14 AM »
Funny how as time goes by, things you thought weren't so good start to sound a lot better by comparison to what's new. I have so much more appreciation now for bass lines like on the first Boston album for example than I did when I wanted everything to be trebly and mixed way loud.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
Funny how as time goes by, things you thought weren't so good start to sound a lot better by comparison to what's new. I have so much more appreciation now for bass lines like on the first Boston album for example than I did when I wanted everything to be trebly and mixed way loud.

Tom Scholz and his EB-0 thank you.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter