Author Topic: Baba O'Riley...Epic!  (Read 2171 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Baba O'Riley...Epic!
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »
This cut makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.  Showmanship in buckets...Townsend going nuts all over the stage, Daltry at his peak, some really nice shots of Entwhistle looking just like himself with his right hand at 78 PRM....this is probably my favorite Who number.

This also is a definitively bright, metallic sound from The Ox....easy to pick out in this recording.

Damn.  Simply DAMN!

For a totally different bass sound, check this cut:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Baba O'Riley...Epic!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Peter Cook beats Alembic to me.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »

Me2

You know I'm trying to find a video of a 1980's PBS show Rock school or school of rock.....
Ox was the bass instructor.  He hadn't really peaked yet but his advise and sounds were incredible.
If any of you guys have a link please post it  :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »

OK, I confess I don't understand what either Peter Cook or Alembic have to do with those cuts....?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
John Entwistle is playing his Alembic Spyder in the Baba O'Reilly clip. For some reason, that's the sound I gravitate to.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 06:23:08 AM »
I love this vid and it's also one of my most listened to Who tracks on a CD. Love the bass sound, love Pete's dancing at the beginning and the end and how he windmills his guitar :D

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 07:00:58 AM »
The Explorer bird was a custom build by Peter Cook. Cataldo makes an admirable copy.
http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/bass/bass7485.html
http://cataldobasses.com/ExplorerBird.html
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »
Thanks...you guys are much better inculcated to the inner mysteries than I am  I just think those cuts absolutely kick butt.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 07:47:51 AM »
You can REALLY hear the bass here.  ;D Seeing the Kids are Alright as a teen set the tone for my approach to... tone.

I like both the Alembic and the Explorerbird. The Ebird gets a little more grind going toward the end of Who are You when he starts laying in with his fingers.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »
Dang, I just can't believe the speed he gets with his style.  Very impressive.

That's an extremely bright, and I suppose, "piano-like" sound.  It sounds wonderful in this cut, but it's not a sound that I'd probably ever use.  He certainly didn't use that bright a sound all the time - other numbers of theirs are quite different.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:30 AM »
Watched this isolated track a million times (also the one of Won't Get Fooled Again) and what always strikes me is that you normally almost only hear the three basic notes, while he plays a all kinds of walking lines to the G, an octave and much more. Cool.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Check this track around 3:00 for early Ox finger work... (although the Tom Smothers intro is kinda fun, too...)

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 07:46:46 PM »
My favorite work from him kind of fades out after Who's Next, and I prefer the stuff from 66-8.  For tone I like Doctor Doctor, and that's pretty percussive and fat.  As he went through the 70s he got more clangy.  So the Alembic stuff is intriguing but I associate those basses with him the way I do with JPJ around Presence: clangy.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 08:08:39 AM »
My favorite work from him kind of fades out after Who's Next, and I prefer the stuff from 66-8.  For tone I like Doctor Doctor, and that's pretty percussive and fat.  As he went through the 70s he got more clangy.  So the Alembic stuff is intriguing but I associate those basses with him the way I do with JPJ around Presence: clangy.

I agree, the Baba O'Riley cut is extremely clangy. But I'm amazed at how well it works in that number.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »
You know I'm trying to find a video of a 1980's PBS show Rock school or school of rock.....
Ox was the bass instructor.  He hadn't really peaked yet but his advise and sounds were incredible.
If any of you guys have a link please post it  :mrgreen:

I remember watching that one, pretty incredible stuff.  I also remember one episode that featured drummers (Ian Paice, Carl Palmer, some others???, Neil Peart maybe??)  I distinctly remember being blown away by Palmer, fantastic drummer, even if his band was rather long-winded...