Author Topic: Another damn string question.  (Read 3204 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: Another damn string question.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 10:00:21 PM »
I've been enjoying the GHS M3050 flats - .045-.105 - I've used Chromes and the GHS are definitely more flexible, though certainly not to the extent of the TIs. Only thing to be aware of is that the silk wrap on the low E isn't really long enough but it hasn't been a problem. Plus they are purple!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »
^ ^ ^
The GHS Precision Flats have a normal length silk, but the long scale versions only come in "long scale plus" (38" winding length) which means that the E string post on a Fender will have some of the string past the silk unless it's a model with a string-through-body bridge.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
Just a thought here. Some of you may know that Fender closed their string making operation in Ensenada in 2011 and that their strings are now made for them by D'addario. This doesn't necessarily mean that they're just rebranded D'addarios, but I do notice that the Fender 9050s are now in 7 sizes (4 and 5 string) where there were only 3 before. The sizes in the sets aren't identical to D'addario Chromes, but it makes me wonder how close they are to Chromes.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 06:54:50 AM »
I use GHS flats on my upright, and just bought a short scale set for my Guild acoustic...they are very flexible, and sound great right out of the pack.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 04:35:41 AM »
I wanted to say what Dave says. Fender  = d'Addario now...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 01:09:46 PM »
Just a thought here. Some of you may know that Fender closed their string making operation in Ensenada in 2011 and that their strings are now made for them by D'addario. This doesn't necessarily mean that they're just rebranded D'addarios, but I do notice that the Fender 9050s are now in 7 sizes (4 and 5 string) where there were only 3 before. The sizes in the sets aren't identical to D'addario Chromes, but it makes me wonder how close they are to Chromes.

I was about to say: They sure feel as stiff and as bright soundwise a Chromes! They even look the part.

Between the ultra-pull of D'Addario Chromes and whoever sells them under his own brand and the acquired-taste floppiness of TIs, Labellas are a good compromise for most people. Rotosound Jazz especially and GHS Flats somewhat have more pull than the Labellas, but they are not yet in Chromes territory.  
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
My flatwounds are GHS Precision Flatwounds. I've tried EVERYTHING but the GHS have have been my faves for years.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »
I like the GHS flats too. Going back on the Fender strings made currently by Diaddario: Recently I got several new sets (9050ML) and from what I can tell, they are different sound and tension wise than the same gauge flat wounds made by Diaddario. I did side by side comparisons on new sets. So I can't say for sure, but perhaps the manufacturer has certain specifications when making strings for them by a large string only maker.
I recall the same thing with Lakland strings some years ago which I think we're made by GHS.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »
GHS used to manufacture the strings for a lot of people.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »
GHS used to manufacture the strings for a lot of people.

They may have, just keep in mind that things change from time to time. What used to be, may not be anymore. Fender's a good example. They had manufactured their own strings ever since buying out V.C. Squier probably about 50 years ago. Now they're made to order by D'addario.

A friend in the string business told me that when DR Strings first started, D'addario was making them to spec for DR. D'addario actually filed suit against DR for saying they were "handmade" when they were actually made on D'addario's automated equipment. DR later started making their own.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »
They may have, just keep in mind that things change from time to time. What used to be, may not be anymore. Fender's a good example. They had manufactured their own strings ever since buying out V.C. Squier probably about 50 years ago. Now they're made to order by D'addario.
A friend in the string business told me that when DR Strings first started, D'addario was making them to spec for DR. D'addario actually filed suit against DR for saying they were "handmade" when they were actually made on D'addario's automated equipment. DR later started making their own.

Oh, I know that.  We had a standing gig in Battle Creek, so we went on a tour of GHS and the plant manager took us around and showed us the whole operation.  At that time, they were making Dean Markley strings, and a few other known brands that I don't recall.  I seem to remember hearing that GHS expanded, and when they moved to a larger facility, Dean Markley took over the old location and went into manufacturing on their own.  I'm actually a lifelong GHS fan (Brite Flats), but stopped using them when the gauges I like were no longer available.  There was a guy who came to the club, selling bands GHS strings REALLY CHEAP.  I got a gross of bass strings for $56.  GHS warranties the cores, so I got a lot of strings replaced for free.  We think the guy was selling reject sets.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
Oh, I know that.  We had a standing gig in Battle Creek, so we went on a tour of GHS and the plant manager took us around and showed us the whole operation.  At that time, they were making Dean Markley strings, and a few other known brands that I don't recall.  I seem to remember hearing that GHS expanded, and when they moved to a larger facility, Dean Markley took over the old location and went into manufacturing on their own.  I'm actually a lifelong GHS fan (Brite Flats), but stopped using them when the gauges I like were no longer available.  There was a guy who came to the club, selling bands GHS strings REALLY CHEAP.  I got a gross of bass strings for $56.  GHS warranties the cores, so I got a lot of strings replaced for free.  We think the guy was selling reject sets.

Now that's interesting. When Stan Rendell left Gibson in the mid 70s (he was president during the Norlin era) he formed Sterlingworth Music in Kalamazoo (actually Vicksburg) to make strings. Sterlingworth was sold and renamed American Winding, owned by the owners of the Dean Markley brand. And it's still there in Vicksburg. Since Sterlingworth is the company that patented the pressurewound string, I've wondered about any relationship between that company and GHS.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:44 AM »
Yes!  Labella Deep Talkin' flats in the light gauge for me, gauges are .043-.104.  I probably have those on 8 basses at present.  They feel good and last nearly forever.

I found that Imperial Guitars in New York have by far the lowest prices....

http://imperialguitar.stores.yahoo.net/strings-bass-la-bella.html

They are $10-$12 less than any other source I nave found.  They even special ordered a couple of sets of the short scale Labellas for me and gave me the price break.

same here.  good guys to work with and they actually got a labella guy on the phone with me for my special order stuff like dano gtr size tuner bass flts.   I love labella strings both rw and fw and i find the chromes a close second on the flats .
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 08:11:15 AM »
The only thing that has kept me away from Labella Deep Talkin' Flats is that they really make a point of caution against using on a string thru design, and that means my 51 P Reissue.  As far as brand names I've always been happy with it's D'Addario, Labella and Ernie Ball.
Hey Tom, another thing to think about before going too low tension , is how you set your action. I know you go a little on the high side  as a result of playing a lot of ABG. If you keep your electric pretty high too , like I do , a set of TIs is probably going to feel like rubber bands to you :o. They are a fine string for a low action/light touch player, but if you have an aggressive right hand, like most ABG players , you're  not gonna be too comfy with TI.
Rick

they say right on the package not for string thru.  But IIRC they do make a special set for string thru flats.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »

they say right on the package not for string thru.  But IIRC they do make a special set for string thru flats.

Zat ees correct!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."