Author Topic: International tour for me  (Read 2829 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: International tour for me
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
A gig's a gig, Sport...!

There was four floors of whores, and there were so many doors, and a bar that played the Stones all night...
But we ran out of cash, and now ah got a rash; when ah get home gonna be one hell of a fight...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
Have fun man!

Hey~ Your band will love Keith Richards' autobiography LIFE.
He describes his style a bit & gives some details about playing.
Mostly it's a highly sanitized version of his life.
If you want the truth read Ron Wood's autobiography. lol

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 02:58:47 AM »
sounds like a blast, have fun!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 07:35:35 AM »
I'm boasting about playing an Irish pub in a cover band, and you subbed in Pink's band?  I'm just going to shut up now and never talk about my band again ....

NO! I played a surprise party she had for her dad's 65th with a CCR tribute band.  ;D It was cool, but not THAT cool. Hell, you've got a whole run in another country. I'm betting you'll be treated like rock stars.

BTW - I've been reading excerpts from Keef's book in Rolling Stone mag. I think that's going on my Christmas list!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »
Rolling Stoned have been booked for an 8 night stint at an Irish pub in Singapore in December. 

I'm still processing what this looks like. 

Irish Pub - Singapore - Christmas season.....

In the US, that would lead to visual and seasonal incongruities of massive impact.  Somehow I visualize the bartender being an Asian gent with a Santa suit and a Notre-Dame leprechaun hat, waving a shillelagh with jingle bells while serving cocktails and sushi.

Need any more blatant stereotypes strung together, or is that enough?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 08:14:53 AM »
sounds like a great vacation with a little music thrown in.  not bad deal..  enjoy !!!!
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 12:33:14 PM »
the money I pocket for the gigs will end up paying for Elaine to take a 3 or 4 night package trip to Singapore to hang with me for part of the stint, so it ends up being a free holiday for the two of us.  My mum has said she will babysit :-)

Perfect! The kids will love being with their gran and you and Elaine get some quality time in a cool place away from home. Everybody wins!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »

The music in Singapore is usually top notch, whatever is being played.  Used to be mostly Philipino bands, they played extremely accurate covers with great vocals. It helps to have English as a native language.

You can never tell what time of year it is in Singapore, it's on the Equator, 12 hours of light/dark every day and just about the same temp year round.  The first time I went there I hated it, too clean and modern.  But after a few times I discovered the places with more 'character' though they were being cleaned up.  The most beautiful Asian women IMHO, Chinese/Indian/Malay mix.  Enjoy it Mark!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »
Used to look after SIA 747's back in the day - friendliest staff you could ever meet...

The QUANTAS staff were fine, but they were 80% male... Quaint-*rse used to be the nickname round the "Ponderosa" in those days... that was a common nickname for Heathrow in the 70's - something to do with working for a "Cowboy-outfit..."

Best food was to be found on the Suth Afrikaan 747's when we were involved in an early morning "raiding-party"

We used to get "toilet money" for carrying out "line-repairs" in that area - there was one airline I won't mention that we used to get "TM" for walking on the plane; "DoubleTM" for working in the toilets... they were always double-fumegated prior to major or minor services - absolutely filthy... one of the guys was working in what was called the "octopus" - the air-con section near the wing-spars - just a few days after the original "ALIEN" was released - something "moved" right by his face, somewhat like the final scene in the movie - he'd seen it a few days before - ran out of the darkened cargo hold screaming and he'd wet himself... turned out to be a big sleepy black shiny beetle that did not like the British winters much - ended up in London Zoo...

Ah... I've tangentialised again... :P
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »
Used to look after SIA 747's back in the day - friendliest staff you could ever meet...

'Singapore Girl' was SIA's theme song for a long time...with good reason!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »
that was my era there...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
Somehow I visualize the bartender being an Asian gent with a Santa suit and a Notre-Dame leprechaun hat, waving a shillelagh with jingle bells while serving cocktails and sushi.

This is Asia - where the bartenders are always hot young chicks wearing mini skirts and midriff tops.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »
You can never tell what time of year it is in Singapore, it's on the Equator, 12 hours of light/dark every day and just about the same temp year round.

Very true.  There are only two seasons in this part of the world - the dry season, from Feb-Oct, and the wet moonsoon season from Nov-Jan.  Same temperature all year round, but in the wet season the humidity increases from 80% to 95%, and there are torrential downpours every afternoon around 4.00pm-5.00pm that last for anywhere between 5 minutes and 60 minutes :-)
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »
I'm still processing what this looks like. 

Irish Pub - Singapore - Christmas season.....

This comment made me wonder if the Irish pub in Sheremetyevo airport at Moscow as still there. That one always gave me a chuckle.

Irish and Pommy pubs in Singapore and Malaysia didn't really surprise me due to those countries former colonial occupants.
Digresion our specialty!

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 06:28:39 AM »
Bass player from T2 got married and moved to Singapore.