Author Topic: Flea  (Read 3587 times)

Chaser001

Flea
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
What do you think of Flea?  Do you like him or not?  How would you rate his bass playing?  Actually, I'd like to know this for personal reasons, although if I divulged them you'd understand perfectly why I'm suddenly wondering about such things.  I won't be making any comments, though, for the personal reasons I've already mentioned.  Any comments, good or bad, will be welcomed.  And from my perspective, there really isn't a right or wrong answer.  This isn't really so much about Flea as it is about me and somewhat of a bass-related dilemma that I find myself facing. 

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Flea
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
if you are not going to air your situation i'll just say i don't slappers, any of them. to me it's not bass. it's all about the tone.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Hornisse

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »
I used to listen to a lot of 70's funk when I started to play bass so I like Flea.  One of my favorite bass lines by him is on Young MC's "Bust A Move.  Very simple, but funky. 

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:02:49 PM »

I don't mind saying I like Flea at all - While his playing isn't really my style ( and I wouldn't even attempt to try to cop it )  I can readily appreciate his talent and his skill at composing interesting bass parts, which by itself is also a skill.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:10:28 PM »
I enjoy his playing a lot.  Sometimes it's a little busy for my taste, but who am I to judge?

I too slap, but in a much more old school way.  FWIW, I still actively work at "improving" at this style.

In my opinion, it's a valid style...I'm not a rocket scientist at it, so I use it in a more sparingly and hopefully more simply and traditionally R & B-like manner than The Chili Peppers.

Funk is allowed in Ohio.

I will sit and watch a Chili Peppers video my son owns for my own fun every now and again...I would never do that with a "metal" band video.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:26:25 PM by patman »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
I'm on the fence with Flea.  I have no doubt what his fingers can do, but there are times when I ask, "What the hell is he thinking?".  One song, he's tight and fluid, the next, he's an epileptic in a rage.  He's also used a number of basses, so if you're having a bass-related conflict, you might want to elaborate.

In short, my ears hear farts and flailing arms, or warm tones and structure.  Never the two shall meet with Flea.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Chaser001

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »
I'm also very much on the fence with Flea.  I have to say that I've always been interested in hard rock and that's always what I've played.  Unlike some of you, I've never tried to be an accomplished bassist who can play anything in any situation.  I've always just played what I loved.  But I'm finding myself in a situation in which it might be to my advantage to cop Flea's style.  First, I'll have to find out if I'm even capable of it.  Second, I'll have to decide if I want to invest a lot of time and energy in music which isn't my preferred music.  However, to elaborate on the details really would be foolish.  Sometimes it's better to just keep things to yourself.  This is one of those rare cases.  These comments have already been helpful, though.  I'd like to thank everyone for them.  All things considered, it's probably to my advantage to not say much more.  I'm really identifying with some of these comments, though.  That's a good thing and it does help me. 

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
I don't find anything especially annoying or unappealing about his playing - but I've always found the RHCP to be very disturbing visually. Maybe that's what they're after, but they give me the creeps.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
I agree with the gives me the creeps sentiment.

Some lyrics are very disturbing, also.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 01:02:26 PM »
Flea comes up with some coool stuff! It would be FUN to figure some of it out.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »
Not my cup of tea, but it does rhyme with Flea...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 03:22:42 PM »
Not sure what this new endeavor holds in store for you, but just make sure your rider stipulates an ample supply of tube socks!

I used to listen to a lot of 70's funk when I started to play bass so I like Flea.  One of my favorite bass lines by him is on Young MC's "Bust A Move.  Very simple, but funky.  

I also enjoyed his more subtle/subdued playing - that Young MC bassline was good, stuff like RHCP's "Funky Crime" and "Special Secret Song..." comes to mind (although the songs themselves didn't age so well...), and this was kinda cool:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 06:07:58 PM »
Not sure what this new endeavor holds in store for you, but just make sure your rider stipulates an ample supply of tube socks!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »
I never got the whole RHCP thing.  most of the the time they sound like a really bad garage band.  not good funk ,  not good rock.  just what are they???  granted this is someone who will not listen to a band/artist if he has a dj on the stage with him to scratch....  so maybe i am stuck in some other music time zone.   Flea has great chops,  very little taste at times.  i don't get it....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 09:49:30 PM »
I like what Flea does. He is interesting, musical and challenging as a bass player. I'm not sure if he worries about the fact that his playing doesn't fit very well into some of the more traditional stereotyping boxes. To be honest it doesn't bother me either. He is what he is and as a bassist he is musically interesting. I cant take a lot of RHCP songs in a row but I dont see anything wrong or disturbing  with what they do. Like listening to Les Claypool or Geddy Lee, just take away from it what you want and ignore the rest.
Digresion our specialty!