Author Topic: Auditioned for a band  (Read 2696 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Auditioned for a band
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »
So, you'll need 4 or 5 birds and an SVT for these gigs, right ;D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »
Yay George!

Sorry I'm a little late to post, we're on a short road trip this weekend. I know you'll find playing music to be great fun and will lead to many wonderful new things. Congratulations  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »
George Congratulations on the new gig ! Sounds like a lot of fun! Young female singers are if nothing else fun to watch ;) It is good to push your self past your comfort zone and play music that maybe isn't your cup of tea, always something to learn.If I had things my way we would play Slade or worse our originals! I doubt either would pack them in. You gotta to give the people what they want other wise your playing to the help! What bass are you going to use ?????
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 10:43:57 AM »
Sounds like a decent fit.  Enjoy!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
So, you'll need 4 or 5 birds and an SVT for these gigs, right ;D

I should go in with all my gear at least once just to freak them out!

At the audition I didn't even load in my amp or cabinet. They run everything through the PA with the guitars using Pod-like pedal boards. I'll take my Sansamp DI the next time we meet so I have a little more control over my sound. Of course I wouldn't mind using my gear but I can't complain about not having to lug it around, either. Plus they kept turning me up in the mix and it was a nice PA, so I had no problem hearing myself and they seem to enjoy having bass in the mix. I think I'll be happy as far as that goes (so long as I learn my parts well)!

One thing I'll be doing is taking the Uwe approach with rehearsal. I don't have nearly as many basses as I used to, but I can take two at a time and still have a nice rotation to keep them guessing.  ;D

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »
Good for you GC. Have fun!

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
Congratulations George & Good Luck
Tony

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 03:05:01 AM »
sounds like a lot of fun, congrats!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 07:59:10 AM »
excellent.  Playing is always fun and theraputic for me.  New bands are always exciting and a good reason to practice for me. 

Congrats
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »
Awesome George!  Playing something different to what you're used to is a good thing in terms of outlook and development - and networking.

Some advice - don't bang the cute chick in the band, it's not smart in terms of band politics and longevity.  Use the cute chick's friends and gigs to meet other cute chicks.

Who minds the boys when you're playing in the band?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 05:05:14 PM »
Awesome George!  Playing something different to what you're used to is a good thing in terms of outlook and development - and networking.

Some advice - don't bang the cute chick in the band, it's not smart in terms of band politics and longevity.  Use the cute chick's friends and gigs to meet other cute chicks.

Who minds the boys when you're playing in the band?

All good points, Mark. The boys' mother will watch them when I have rehearsals or gigs. At least for now. We'll see how that goes...

Thanks for the good wishes, guys!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 03:26:50 AM »
Very good news, enjoy the ride!

If I were to do it again I would get all light weight equipment- for my RD!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 08:34:17 AM »
Playing stuff that's new to you is always a good thing. Have a great time! Never hurts to expand your repertoire. I'm in a similar situation, working on a new pop-based covers project. Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, Orianthi, Adam Lambert... I've never even HEARD some of the songs we're doing until learning them. On top of that, I'm learning 22 CCR songs for a gig coming up in a week and a half. Never thought much of those guys, but this stuff is SO pure and simple, it's a nice contrast to the pop crud. I swear, Have You Ever Seen the Rain is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever played, with a great bassline. AND I recently jumped into the fire with another hard rock cover band, doing revved up versions of GnR, VH, Crue, Poison, Jovi, Whitesnake, as well as a few current things played in that same style. Lots of fun, and lots of gigs!

PS -
Some advice - don't bang the cute chick in the band, it's not smart in terms of band politics and longevity.  Use the cute chick's friends and gigs to meet other cute chicks