Author Topic: Roasted maple  (Read 7455 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Roasted maple
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »
Yep.  Let's remember the Thunderbird was in large part an attempt to make inroads into Fender's tremendous success with the P and J.  Up to that point Gibsons, except for the original EB, were exact copies of guitar bodies with primitive bridges and pups.

A P is just a slightly differently shaped Strat................at least to my eye, so while I've read comments like that before to me it just doesn't hold much water. At that point (early '60s) all pickups were primitive, including Fenders. Gibson did bother to change their pickup designs many times as they intro'd new basses - regardless of their shape. Fender never tried any remotely as bold as an RD, much less an Explorer

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:01:04 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 01:56:09 PM »
Back to roasted maple: color me skeptical.

Me, too.  Because of my (self-confessed) tin ear for nuances of tone, I don't hear any difference between woods.  I'm of the possibly mistaken opinion that the strings, pickups and electronics collective make much more difference in the instrument's sound than wood does.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »
Quite well put Fräulein!  

BTW, did you notice Bass NW has a black 'Bird in their used section?

http://www.bassnw.com/Used%20Basses/gibson_1979_thunderbird_72719092.htm

Kind of pricey, but it is a '79.
That makes my recent $800 unbroken '76 look like a very good buy  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 06:06:35 AM »
as far as fender goes why mess with success.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:13:44 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 08:28:53 AM »
There is room for both, Fender's design ingenuity in reapproaching the concept of a bass stringed instrument for the invention of the electric bass guitar and Gibson's more daring and desperation-fueled policy of "this didn't work, let's try this then" in the aftermath of '51.

Leo gave us bassists a rich sounding E string through his choice of scale. There is a reason why short, medium and even Ric-scale only cater for miniscule minorities. Likewise, the - obscenely utilitarian - bolt-on concept has left an imprint in the psyche of that great many of bassists who don't give a damn about how their bass sounds above the 12th fret because they never go there anyway, but appreciate added bolt-on attack for sheer audibility at the 5th fret.

That said, Gibson already built credible P type basses 40 (Grabber) to 30 (Victory) years ago while Fender keeps us waiting with their take on a TBird. But let's not be unfair, perfecting the art of drilling four holes into an inert ash or alder body is one thing, getting a set or bolt-on neck right quite another. And perhaps one day, even Fender will begin to be enlightened by realization that there are perhaps more elegant and artisan ways to compensate for lack of string to nut pressure than the clamping down of strings. Alas! Though, the mystery of the angled headstock doed not unfold to everyone!!!

: - )
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »
I wouldn't be too quick to tout "the mystery of the angled headstock," when the angle selected by Gibson has been responsible for so many thousands of broken headstocks after minor incidents. 

The Fender headstock angle may benefit from a string retainer, but it doesn't usually shatter when the instrument falls over on the bandstand.  If we grant that Gibson has an advantageous headstock angle, I would still assert that the angle is only effective when the instrument isn't broken...which happens more often with Gibsons.

We could easily debate the merits of a musically advantageous angle which results in excessive breakage vs. a less advantageous angle which is durable and provides a more dependable instrument.

Of course, the practical answer is found in the old Alan King comedy routine in which he says:

"I went to the doctor and said, doc, it hurts when I do this (waves arm)."

The doctor said "Don't DO that."

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »
All good points. I think we are all attracted to certain shapes and of course sound that brings us to a particular instrument. Ultimately when we get it in our hands the feel has got to be there. As bass enthusiasts or fanatics for the most part that might be why we have more than let's say a few. I am more attracted to the Gibson(esque)  shapes. I always loved the Thunderbird shape but they never felt right in my hands until the TBIV. The other day I was over a friend of my daughter's house and the father asked me to look over a bass he had under the bed or in the closet so to speak since he got it in 1965. A Precision in fact. This particular instrument just melted in my hands and was perfect. Not being a big fan of the P sound (esp w maple necks) I borrowed it (to set it up for him) and plugged it in at home and could not believe my ears> It did not sound like a P at all. I really did not want to give it back and thought of ways to con this instrument out of him (because of it's year and condition it is worth some pretty pennies) but gave it back and told him to take care of it and keep me in mind. Then I went back home to my 26 other (only 2 Fenders but they goota be there) and strapped on my fave (for the moment) '86 PRS which is afterall a Gibson (with quite a few sound variations). I can understand Mark's shall we say obsession w/ Thunderbirds and I am sure each one has it's special time and place and am amazed at such an extensive arsenal or array of that shape. I admit when I pick up my lone TB it brings on a certain approach which is why it always remains just about at the top selection of solid bodies.

Hornisse

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 10:32:25 AM »
Fender did use the angled headstock on these fairly rare beasts!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »

A P is just a slightly differently shaped Strat................at least to my eye, so while I've read comments like that before to me it just doesn't hold much water. At that point (early '60s) all pickups were primitive, including Fenders. Gibson did bother to change their pickup designs many times as they intro'd new basses - regardless of their shape. Fender never tried any remotely as bold as an RD, much less an Explorer

And a Thunderbird Reverse is basically a flipped over Jaguar.  So Fender was there with that first.  To me it's the most successful Gibson bass design, even with its ergonomic flaws.  The Gripper and Rabber are Precision derivatives. Explorers, Vees and LPs are guitar based, the RD is just plain weird IMO.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:55:15 PM by dadagoboi »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »
Leo gave us bassists a rich sounding E string through his choice of scale. There is a reason why short, medium and even Ric-scale only cater for miniscule minorities.

Ironically, 34" only intonates the open G string properly. Unless you have Dingwall Voodoo or some other extra large fanned scale instrument, ALL fretted electric basses are "short scale." It is precisely for this reason that the electric bass has a heavy thump rather than a piano-like clarity and also why shorter scale basses tend to sound boomier with odd dead notes and intonation. The mathematically incorrect period of string vibration does not allow for equal harmonic series development and the dominant tone is the fundamental.

Back to topic, one has to wonder if the chemical composition of roasted maple is any stronger due to its higher carbon content relative to normal maple.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »

Of course, the practical answer is found in the old Alan King comedy routine in which he says:

"I went to the doctor and said, doc, it hurts when I do this (waves arm)."

The doctor said "Don't DO that."

He stole that from Henny Youngman.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 06:21:03 PM »
He stole that from Henny Youngman.

I thought Steve Jobs created that when he commented about the iPhone G4 dropping calls?   ;D
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:45 AM »
IIRC, the gunstocks on early rifles were often wrapped in string with acid to impart surface burns to the wood, giving it a "flamed stripe" appearance.  I believe I have heard of an alternate method of wrapping and burning the string to add the "flame" striping.

I don't doubt that heating causes some changes in the wood.  Whether those benefit its acoustic qualities, I can't say.

I refinished a gun-stock once many years ago following magazine article instructions. Diluted Borassic acid crystals brought up amazing grain in the wood. The same if not better as that neck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 07:37:28 AM »
Once again, the vast store of semi-useless trivia in my mind is proven to work.

Some days I think this should scare me.

At any rate - I'll bet the same acid process would turn out necks that would sell for a premium!