Author Topic: Roasted maple  (Read 7452 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Roasted maple
« on: August 07, 2010, 06:55:13 AM »
I have just heard about this today. Musicman and Sadowsky offer it. What do you think?

I'd like to see a Rickenbacker in roasted birdseye maple - the whole guitar is maple, should be stunning.

Sadowsky:

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Roasted maple
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:19:32 AM »
File it with the rest of the roasted nuts. ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:51:40 AM »
IIRC, the gunstocks on early rifles were often wrapped in string with acid to impart surface burns to the wood, giving it a "flamed stripe" appearance.  I believe I have heard of an alternate method of wrapping and burning the string to add the "flame" striping.

I don't doubt that heating causes some changes in the wood.  Whether those benefit its acoustic qualities, I can't say.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 08:24:47 AM »
The fungus sure won't like it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:09:14 AM »

I was reading a thread on TB about it a week or two back..........The rabid EBMM syncophants over there crack me up, personally I think it's crock, but then again I can't stand anything from Leo Fender so.............. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Hornisse

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:25:17 AM »
Say it isn't so Herr Fräulein!! :o   ;)

My old Pre-EB Stingray Bass had a naturally "roasted" neck done by human hands!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »
I was reading a thread on TB about it a week or two back..........The rabid EBMM syncophants over there crack me up, personally I think it's crock, but then again I can't stand anything from Leo Fender so.............. 

I might have the exception to that, Mark....my old '63 P.  It's a sweetheart.  But if not, it's OK...I don't mind.  Your T-Bird fixation takes priority!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:19:28 AM »
but then again I can't stand anything from Leo Fender so.............. 

If it wasn't for Leo we'd all be playing short scale badly intonated EBs. ;D

A lot more technology was borrowed by Gibson from Fender than Fender from Gibson.  Not to mention the innovations at MM and G&L.  I'm talking when Leo ran those companies, not their latter day corporate incarnations.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »

Just my .02 guys, funny thing is I've owned 3 Fenders, (2 J's and a P) and a pre EB 'Ray just like Robert's as well a Sabre............None of them did "it" for me for various reasons, nowadays I just don't even bother with it, if it  isn't a Thunderbird I'm probably not interested.
 I know lots of guys really like Leo Fender's work ( I have no problem with what anybody likes :) ) but conventionally shaped basses just aren't for me and the whole Fender "vibe" just goes right on by me now.
 One look at Uwe's collection should put any doubts about bass innovation to rest, Gibson continually tried new things with very little commonality of essential parts ( i.e. pickups) between the designs ( commercial sucess aside) and from that view point I know what company was the real innovator. Neither Fender, EBMM G&L have done much real "innovation" of any kind recently, Gibson either, but look back to the '60s thru the '80's, it isn't even a contest. 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 11:23:36 AM »
Quite well put Fräulein! 

BTW, did you notice Bass NW has a black 'Bird in their used section?

http://www.bassnw.com/Used%20Basses/gibson_1979_thunderbird_72719092.htm

Kind of pricey, but it is a '79.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 11:37:13 AM »

Nice!

But I've got a '77 that the good Mr '69 Vette (Old man C) sold me a couple years back so I'll leave to someone else, if anyone wants I can go check it out. Prices seem up a bit.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 11:47:29 AM »
Saying Leo was not innovative is unfair I think.  He was in fact SO innovative that he was credited (wrongly) with inventing the electric bass ;D
I personally think he was one of the great innovators when it comes to electric instruments and making them practical and and affordable. And as so far as "traditional" shapes go, yes F%^$#R basses ARE traditional-now, 60 years on!!!!! Cheers!
Fleet Guitars

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 12:21:27 PM »

Don't get me wrong I didn't say that L.F.'s work wasn't innovative, or that it's bad in any way.
I'm just not on the Fender (or progeny) bandwagon, never have been, but I as I mentioned I gave 3 of them a try and they just didn't work for me for various reasons. As shapes go Gibson's are every bit as "classic" as Fenders and both companies suffer from that - Who wants to see a "new" bass from Fender?  Can you imagine Fender loyalists trying to get their minds  around a Bongo, much less a "Big Al"?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »
Back to roasted maple: color me skeptical.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »

I personally think he was one of the great innovators when it comes to electric instruments and making them practical and and affordable. And as so far as "traditional" shapes go, yes F%^$#R basses ARE traditional-now, 60 years on!!!!! Cheers!

Yep.  Let's remember the Thunderbird was in large part an attempt to make inroads into Fender's tremendous success with the P and J.  Up to that point Gibsons, except for the original EB, were exact copies of guitar bodies with primitive bridges and pups.