Author Topic: Multiple basses and "My Sound"  (Read 4955 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Multiple basses and "My Sound"
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »
I've been reflecting on a simple concept that many people seem not to understand.  

They buy considerably different types of instruments, then try to turn them all into the same thing - to keep "their sound".

Personally, "my sound" is somewhat different based on the instrument I'm playing...and that's why I have different instruments.  If "my sound" was monolithic, I'd have no reason to own more than one bass.

I see no reason why any musician's "sound" can't have numerous variations based on their instruments, strings, amplification and technique (and other factors such as venue acoustics).

Am I missing some critical concept here??  ???
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple basses and "My Sound"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »
Just turn up the volume, Al...  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:53:34 PM by Kenny Five-O »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:18:19 AM »
I've been reflecting on a simple concept that many people seem not to understand.  

They buy considerably different types of instruments, then try to turn them all into the same thing - to keep "their sound".

Personally, "my sound" is somewhat different based on the instrument I'm playing...and that's why I have different instruments.  If "my sound" was monolithic, I'd have no reason to own more than one bass.

I see no reason why any musician's "sound" can't have numerous variations based on their instruments, strings, amplification and technique (and other factors such as venue acoustics).

Am I missing some critical concept here??  ???

Umm...OK. I guess I didn't realize this was a problem that required a thread to address it. But, perhaps your mind will be put at ease by further responses.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:21:47 AM »
nope... we still need more volume....  ;D  :mrgreen:  ;D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:26:05 AM »
I'm sure you're right!    :)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »
I have seven basses but since I'm still learning how to play them, I like to think my sound is uniformly atrocious to certain people at all times and all people at certain times.  ;D
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 12:28:55 PM »
I look at my basses as a box of chocolates or crayons and have them arranged accordingly. Each bass has its own role or voice in what I do.

Les Paul Standard-Bass & Chunky metal rhythm guitar
Blueshawk for clear Lead & trumpet/horn parts
RD for Any part
EB-0 for Twangy tele & monster woofy Brown Notes

That is why I never understood buying the same bass multiple times, with so many other favors to taste (Mark & George)-Yeah I know you really like them!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
It's all for the groupies, innit? Give them multiples, I say!!!!!!!!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 12:49:40 PM »
I'm with you Pilgrim. I was actually just thinking about this this morning. Although I would hope that there are parts of my playing that are distinctively "me," I also love playing different basses and find that what and how I play change depending on the circumstances. I use a lot of effects like distortion, filter/synth sounds, etc. in my own music too, which seems to change the character of my playing.

But then there are the stories of famous musicians playing other people's instruments and sounding exactly like themselves. I seem to remember reading Ted Nugent saying that Eddie Van Halen played Ted's guitar and rig and it sounded totally like Eddie. But maybe that's becoming more the issue of how much or how little does the construction, electronics, etc. really have to do with the sound, and that the player's hands may (or may not) be more important.

John's analogy of the box of crayons works great for me!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »
I like to think my sound is uniformly atrocious to certain people at all times and all people at certain times.  ;D

Uh, table for two, please!   ;D

Actually, part of the reason I started this thread is that I get tired of people who obsess over 'my tone" without ever stopping to think that it changes depending on the instrument, the amps and the setting.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:57:24 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 02:08:38 PM »
I have "a" tone that I strive for,  what I would call "my" tone, usually involving a Fender Bass/flats/a pick/palm muting. It's a 70s Dee Murray tone. But, I also love the 60s short-scale hollowbody tone, so I own a Gibson EB-2, Epiphone Rivoli, and several other old(and new) hollowbodies. I also love Ric bass tone and thus own a few Ric basses. So, I guess I buy into the Crayola analogy!

nofi

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
 sounds like a nice argument to present to the wife. 'my' crayons are usually very dark.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:34:14 PM by nofi »

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »
Yup, my basses are different colors that serve me well right out of the box or with a switch to flats as mood or set lists change. The first three sound best with tone rolled back (a bad habit that the Epi and 55-02CS counteract).

Starfire w/ Dark Stars (w/ pick)
Pedulla Buzz with Barts (singing mwah or upright)
Dark Star P-Bass (soul/psychedelic)
Epi TB silverburst (grind rock)
Lakland 55-02CS (3-band EQ makes it the most versatile for church duty)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:29:44 PM by jmcgliss »
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:52:49 PM »
I do like your RD, John... reminds me of what mine used to look like (but still with the Moog...? presumably as early as mine)  :o

I really would like to get a semi, and a Jazz, someday... oh yeah, and an EB3L, a true T'bird, a Scroll, a Plexi... (fade to grey...)

I'm still working on the sound for the Peter Cook, but she screams for loudness, always had that edge to her sound, but she's good with blues, too...
With the RD being fretless she's much more rounded, a much more versatile instrument; there is a part of me that would like the Moog back, but I keep that part of me in the isolation ward - too much pain associated with that one...
The Hohner is really a "Jack" of all trades, and so versatile and easy to play, hence my daughter using her...

The Hiwatt and the Marshall cab makes up the rest...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 04:06:54 PM »
I like the crayon analogy.  I've concluded that my ears aren't as sharp as some, but I can hear the difference between these:

- Jack Casady semi-hollow bass with rounds (flats coming soon, I think)
- 1963 P with flats more than 30 years old
- Gretsch G2202 with rounds
- 2000 MIM Fender Jazz with factory rounds
- 1970's Univox 335-style hollowbody with flats
- P-special fretless with nylon tapewounds

I also have an Applause (Ovation body) acoustic-electric short scale that's great for practice.  I have a couple of others but most are in need of some repairs or work.

When you look it over, that's a pretty fair set of crayons if you don't need active pickups.