Author Topic: My own stupid amp/cab question...  (Read 5409 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
My own stupid amp/cab question...
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:37:35 AM »
I was thinking about single 15" speakers and noticed most were 8ohms. Is there such a thing as a single 15" bass speaker with 4ohms or 2ohms?

Does it work that way?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: My own stupid amp/cab question...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:57:10 AM »
The Peavey Black Widow (1501DT) in my cab is a 4 Ohm speaker.
The BW 15 in my combo is an 8 Ohm.

There's more information on different BW 15" speakers here:
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/misc/blackwidow.cfm

Here's some info from that site:
Musical Instrument Applications
 1501DT-4 Black Widow
 The 1501DT is a 4 ohm, 15" Black Widow/Super Structure speaker specifically voiced for musical instrument use. A "classic" sound is achieved by using a specially developed high density curvilinear paper cone, and incorporating a one-piece aluminum dust cap and voice coil former. Sustain is enhanced while retaining control of the overall tone. Obvious applications include lead guitar and steel guitar.

1502DT-4 and 8 Black Widows
 The 1502DT is a 15" Black Widow/Super Structure speaker with a straight-sided, ribbed, Kevlar impregnated cone for the strength required to handle pounding bass lines. Primarily a bass guitar speaker, the 1502 is versatile enough to be used for lead guitar, keyboard, and general purpose low frequency sound reinforcement. The 1502DT-4 is equipped with medium length voice coils for efficiency and high output and is available in 4 and 8 ohm versions.

1505DT-4 Black Widow
 The 1505DT-4 is a 4 ohm, 15" Black Widow/Super Structure speaker with a curvilinear Kevlar impregnated cone for extended smooth response. While used as a bass guitar speaker, the high frequencies have a little extra "bite." Long voice coil maintains linearity at high drive levels.

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »
If they make it in an 8 ohm, they make it a a 4 ohm also.
Rick

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:07:41 PM »
I was thinking about single 15" speakers and noticed most were 8ohms. Is there such a thing as a single 15" bass speaker with 4ohms or 2ohms?

Does it work that way?

The impedance of a speaker is governed by the electrical resistance of its voice coil; the longer the coil wrap, the higher the resistance. Several models of speakers are available in multiple impedance ratings, and regardless of what most folks will tell you, the same model of speaker will sound different with a different length voice coil (note that this refers to the length of wire in the coil wrap itself, NOT the physical dimensions of the coil's magnetic area- i.e. 3 or 4" voice coil). It's not generally a major difference as the rest of the speaker's components tend to 'even things out,' but it is real.

2 ohm speakers are generally used for car or consumer audio systems with cheap amplifiers to boost wattage ratings as a sales tactic.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
My B-100R has a 4 ohm 15" in it.  Seems to be prety loud for only being 100 watts

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
Stiles, are you using the B100R in live/stage settings miked or unmiked? Or just home or studio..

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
IIRC the only difference is in the voicecoil.

I just had a few old ev pro 400 watt  15's   rebuilt and had them done into 4 ohm for some flexibility as i am thinking abut a 2-15   8 ohm cab because i don't have one.....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

lowend1

• View Profile
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »
I use the B-100R in live settings. Usually I'll take the 1/4" line out to the PA, but there were a couple of times we got some bad interfence/hum and since we didn't have a spare mic, I just cranked it up and ran stage volume. I don't think I'd get away with doing that in a full tilt hard rock band, but for my oldies/roots rock project it works just fine and the tone is nice and full.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
Dang, you guys know everything!

I'd originally asked because my Coliseum 300 is 300 watts at 2ohms and I think (but am not sure) my 200S puts out whatever watts at 4ohms. I say "whatever" because the chassis is missing a couple of stickers and I've heard ranges of 60 watts up to 200 so I've no idea.

Anyway, I was thinking a single 15" cabinet wired so that it could take the full power of either of the Sunns would be cool.
Clocks.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »
Your 200S is 60 watt amp, and because it's tube and has an output transformer, you MUST match the impedance ratings, but unlike a s/s, direct coupled (no OT) amp if you do have a mismatch, going higher is much more dangerous than lower. Your Coliseum 300 will be much more forgiving in that regard.

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »
The Faital Pro series offers a 4 ohm fifteen.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »
Dang, you guys know everything!

I'd originally asked because my Coliseum 300 is 300 watts at 2ohms and I think (but am not sure) my 200S puts out whatever watts at 4ohms. I say "whatever" because the chassis is missing a couple of stickers and I've heard ranges of 60 watts up to 200 so I've no idea.

Anyway, I was thinking a single 15" cabinet wired so that it could take the full power of either of the Sunns would be cool.

That Coliseum-300 is a very sweet amp.  Just heavy.  I'd still have mine if I hadn't gone to lightweight gear.  You can take full advantage of the 2-ohm capability of that amp and it will sound great.  It's really loud even if you're only at 4 ohms.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »
The Faital Pro series offers a 4 ohm fifteen.

Denis, the cab I'm using has Faital 15PR400's, and as I'm sure you've gathered, I'm smitten with it.  Really good, full range sounds IMO.
Go fast, take chances.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 06:06:50 AM »
Denis, the cab I'm using has Faital 15PR400's, and as I'm sure you've gathered, I'm smitten with it.  Really good, full range sounds IMO.

Oh yeah, yours sounds terrific!
Clocks.