Author Topic: Billy Rath passes  (Read 680 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Billy Rath passes
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »
Johnny Thunders' Bassist Billy Rath Dead At 66

I thought L.A.M.F. was a great album despite the mixing problems. The cassette version was much better for some reason.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Billy Rath passes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:31:57 AM »
For anyone connected to the Dolls/Heartbreakers scene, he reached an almost biblical age though 66 is still no time to go. New York bands have a short life span in more ways than one.

I'm too much a David Johansen fan to rate Thunder's, uhum, "singing" over his, but I liked LAMF too. Never thought it that punkish though, it was typical NYC urban street credibility/garage rock to me or: like a very badly produced NYD LP (and that is saying something, the NYD albums weren't already that great production-wise). Hitting the right vocal notes just a tiny bit more often would have helped that recording's success too. In my humble opinion of course.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:23:26 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »
I never thought the Heartbreakers were a punk band. Just plain old rock 'n' roll.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
I never thought the Heartbreakers were a punk band. Just plain old rock 'n' roll.
Agreed. I saw Johnny Thunders live back in the 80's and I agree that his "singing" was not one of his strengths.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT