Author Topic: Polishing / Buffing Gibson Nitro Finish  (Read 1043 times)

stiles72

• View Profile
Polishing / Buffing Gibson Nitro Finish
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
I have a couple of Gibson Thunderbirds and a Les Paul Classic guitar with nitro finishes that have some light scratches, buckle rash, and hazing from where the strap rubs against the body. They haven't been abused or scratched through to the wood- just signs of everyday wear and tear in the clear coat itself. I've used the Gibson polish on them with the yellow cloth to keep them as clean as possible from the front, but am wondering what would be the best way to buff out these light scratches and dull faded ares on the back? Just want to freshen them up make them nice and shiny again.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Polishing / Buffing Gibson Nitro Finish
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
I'll be interested to see what others say.  I haven't encountered this except in completing a refinish, and in that case I used 3-M Finesse-It II machine polish and a small buffing wheel.  But I'd be reluctant to mess with the nitro finish on an old Gibson without gathering good advice (better advice than mine!) first.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Polishing Compound on my vintage Gibsons for scratches, haze, etc.   Works with anything from terrycloth to t shirt to micro fiber.  I also use it on freshly cured lacquer and as a general polish for everything including pick guards and nickel.  Haven't tried it on my teeth yet.

"Micro abrasives" seem to be the secret.  Whatever, it works really well and has caused no problems.  About $10 at auto parts stores for 12 ounces.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »
Both 3M Finesse it and Meguiers stuff are great, and they are the most common stuff used by guitar refinishers/restorers.

The stuff that Gibson actually has used for years is the Meguiers Mirror Glaze series.  The #2 Fine Cut Cleaner will take out those fine scratches that you see on most guitars.  The final pass is #7 show car glaze.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:47:51 AM »
Both 3M Finesse it and Meguiers stuff are great, and they are the most common stuff used by guitar refinishers/restorers.

The stuff that Gibson actually has used for years is the Meguiers Mirror Glaze series.  The #2 Fine Cut Cleaner will take out those fine scratches that you see on most guitars.  The final pass is #7 show car glaze.

The Ultra Compound breaks down as you work it and goes from removing scratches to mirror glaze very easily.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »
Thanks all - I'll try the Meguiar's!    :)