Author Topic: Lemmy passes away  (Read 6923 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Lemmy passes away
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 12:11:27 PM »
i think this is metal, some don't.

"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
I never thought of Motörhead as a metal band but they often associated themselves with metal acts, so no surprise that someone came up with the Lemmium idea. Definitely a headbanger band, not rock 'n' roll dance music. And almost as loud as Disaster Area (from the Hitchhiker's Guide).

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 04:48:57 PM »
So, does this mean Lemmy's spending a year dead for tax reasons...? (Hitchhikers in-joke)

Funeral service is streaming live 1530 PST this coming Saturday, which if iirc is 0030 GMT this Sunday...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 05:36:43 PM »
I never thought of Motörhead as a metal band but they often associated themselves with metal acts, so no surprise that someone came up with the Lemmium idea. Definitely a headbanger band, not rock 'n' roll dance music. And almost as loud as Disaster Area (from the Hitchhiker's Guide).

I've been following this - so Motorhead is head-banger but not metal or rock n'roll (agreed on the latter)?

How would the others here classify them?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 08:39:07 PM »
LOUD .When i saw them in Wellington NZ in 1983 i was exceedingly pleased i had my earplugs. I remember between tunes Lemmy   played a few runs and bends on the verge of feedback and said ahh thats enough of that s**t....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:10:29 PM by clankenstein »
Louder bass!.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »
So, does this mean Lemmy's spending a year dead for tax reasons...? (Hitchhikers in-joke)

That's exactly what came to mind when I heard Lemmy had passed, if only because Motörhead's shows were so insanely loud. I've wondered more than once if Lemmy and Motörhead were Douglas Adams' inspiration for Hotblack Desiato and Disaster Area.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2016, 06:16:30 AM »
i think this is metal, some don't.

Metal in my book too. Never much of a Pantera fan though, the intentionally disjointed nature of the music and the "I have one emotion only and that is anger"-vocals tire me out quickly.

And the test: Girls won't dance to it, so it must be metal.

Lemmy's claim to Motörhead not being metal (though both his co-musicians in the current - or last - line-up stem from arch-metal bands, namely Mercyful Fate and NWOBMsters Persian Risk) is mainly based on the fact that the songs stayed short and there were little and only short solos (though live the guitarist's stand-alone solo spot could be endless as Lemmy would need that time to catch his breath for some years already) as well as the absence of sword and scorcery lyrics plus a certain punkish, man-of-the-people, non-grandeur attitude in the live delivery. All other musical ingredients - the double bass drum excesses, the riffing guitar, the eighth and sixteenth note "rhythm guitar bass" playing  - are/were very much metal. Motörhead was certainly more heavy metal than Hawkwind ever was.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:34:15 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »
... I've wondered more than once if Lemmy and Motörhead were Douglas Adams' inspiration for Hotblack Desiato and Disaster Area.

Hate to say, but iirc it's Pink Floyd... set the controls for the heart of the sun... a year out of GB for tax reasons... and lavish stage sets... there is other evidence too
As for Hotblack Desiato... it's a genuine North London property sale company that still exists...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2016, 05:38:55 PM »
Hate to say, but iirc it's Pink Floyd... set the controls for the heart of the sun... a year out of GB for tax reasons... and lavish stage sets... there is other evidence too
As for Hotblack Desiato... it's a genuine North London property sale company that still exists...

I had read the story about Adams driving through a north London suburban neighborhood and seeing Hotblack, Desiato & Co. on property for sale signs, calling Mr. Hotblack and getting permission to use the name. As for Pink Floyd, I wouldn't have guessed since I know almost nothing about their story.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 01:12:44 AM »
There was a period of time when their signboards went walkies quite frequently... :D

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2016, 11:23:19 AM »
For those who haven't got the chance to see it yet, his milk commercial...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »
Brilliant...!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2016, 07:47:29 AM »

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2016, 05:48:18 AM »
Can't view it...?