Author Topic: Gibson Seconds  (Read 3725 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Gibson Seconds
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »
I was getting close to buying a 78 black Ripper, then I found out it has Second on the headstock - what difference does that make to the value?

Aside from that, I wasn't finding it easy to work out what I should be paying. Anything from 400 GBP to 1200USD, which on my assumption that 1 USD = 1 GBP by the time you've shipped it and paid duty, that's quite a range. In good shape, but missing the bridge cover, what are they going for now?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Seconds
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »
The "Second" stamp means generally very little in terms of value of a vintage instrument - some not too overt cosmetic flaw at the time of creation, usually not discernible after the bass has aged through use. I have a Victory stamped "Second" because the neck is lightly spalted - today they would charge a premium for it!  :mrgreen:

I might not be on top of current prices, but 1.200 Dollars is rather high except for a closet beauty Ripper in one of the rarer fins, the ebony color not being a rare fin, but a prevalent one. 800-900 Dollars more like for one in good to very good condition. I bought mine in pristine condition (a 81 model) some years ago for 900 Dollars from a shop.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »
Thanks Uwe, that helps a lot.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:55:27 PM »
In 2009 I scored a beautiful (but not perfect) '80 Ripper (all black with rosewood fingerboard) with the original case for $600 off Craigslist. You can get lucky and get a deal!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:13:10 PM »
On my 1:1 conversion rate that's about where I am with the one I'm thinking of buying. It's harder judging the value over here as they don't come up as often and if you use the actual exchange rate from USD you'd never buy anything.

Anyway, my up and down relationship with Gibsonesque bases may be heading into Nirvana territory.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:03:46 AM »
Anyway, my up and down relationship with Gibsonesque bases may be heading into Nirvana territory.

Just don't do it this way...

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 04:23:43 AM »
Yes, I saw that in another thread. Great song too. Any time I've tried any kind of stage antics I've either pulled the lead out of the amp or tripped up, so I tend to stay quite still now, or at least move carefully.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:22:53 AM »
i just scored a 78 natural ripper for a what i thought was a great price 300 but i also knew going in that the pickups were shot. dead on the meter and individually only one coil registered at 3.15.     Body and neck are great with normal checking so i will make the investment on pickups.  Trying to decide whether i have them rewired or get the duncan replacements.  any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 08:26:06 AM »
My 80's Explorer bass was stamped "Second", and I've seen three other Explorer basses over the years that had that also. Couldn't tell anything was wrong with them since they were all well worn by the time I played or saw them.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:39:05 AM »
my 72 EB3-L  and Jack Casady are both stamped seconds.  Saved me money on the new epi and i still can't find the imperfection   but should have no impact on the vintage stuff IMHO
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 10:17:46 AM »
i just scored a 78 natural ripper for a what i thought was a great price 300 but i also knew going in that the pickups were shot. dead on the meter and individually only one coil registered at 3.15.     Body and neck are great with normal checking so i will make the investment on pickups.  Trying to decide whether i have them rewired or get the duncan replacements.  any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated

The Ripper I'm chasing apparently has one pickup that was totally rebuilt to original specs by Kent Armstrong. They even moulded the casing from the original, so it still has the pick scratches. No idea how much that would cost, or how good it is, since I don't have the bass yet.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »
Just don't do it this way...

That was a classic case of self-defense on the part of that Ripper. The right to bear arms and knock someone over the head if he throws you ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »
It knew about the smashing the speaker cabinets at the end and tried to get in first. The guitar just took it. Wimp.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 07:06:29 AM »
The guy I was trying to buy it from took it to his tech for a setup and the tech offered him 750 notes for it there and then. Guess that settles the value question.

Collectors! don't you just hate them.   >:( ;D

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
I have a '77 Tbird that is stamped "BGN" on the neck heel. I originally thought some idiot stamped his initials on it, but later learned that the factory used that to designate factory seconds (or maybe ones that weren't even good enough to be seconds). Apparently "BGN" means "bargain". At this point in time, with all the dings, etc., it is impossible to tell what the original problem was.