Gear Discussion Forums > Guitars Etc.

Building a Telegib (HH Tele)

(1/7) > >>

Alanko:
I recently modified my Strat to accommodate two humbuckers. I chose some zebra-style PRS SE pickups. These are manufactured by 'G&B', who seem to get around a bit. I chose the pickups because the general consensus online is that they are good sounding is somewhat dull. They are also trem-spaced. I took a gamble that 'dull' would translate into 'sounds alright' when transplanted onto a Fender instrument, and it worked!

However I'm just not a Strat person. I love my MIM Tele and don't wish to modify it for personal reasons. My Strat was 2nd hand, so isn't precious to me. I do however like the neck.

My plan is to purchase one of these: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbt1952.htm

I would modify the heel of my Strat's neck to fit the Tele pocket, route it for humbuckers and buy a Wilkinson Tele half-bridge.

Does this seem like a silly idea? The Harley Benton route seems to be the most cost effective way of getting a bunch of Tele-style hardware together, with the option of selling the parts I don't need.

Rob:
I see you point about the components.
Have you seen their stuff before?
I tried that once on some bass body and ended up tossing or at least not using everything before I was done.

Alanko:
I have a Harley Benton electric mandolin, and I have some of their pedals somewhere (an ODB-3 clone and something else I forget). Never touched one of their guitars, and no idea who the OEM is either.

I've bought a Harley Benton Tele on Ebay. It was a bit cheaper, though I saved zero money from buying direct from Thomann, the advantage is that Thomann are currently out of stock on this particular model. The one I've ordered is Mary Kaye blonde, and has a top-loading bridge only.

For me it is the most cost-effective way of getting a Tele body in that finish, with the option of scraping back more money down the line. The output jack, control plate, knobs, switch tip, neckplate and screws will be recycled into my build. The neck, pickguard, bridge, pickups and pickguard will go back up on Ebay.

slinkp:
I don't think it's a silly idea at all, as long as you realize it'll be a frankenstein with no particular value except to you.  Nothing at all wrong with that: I think it sounds like a fun project and just might result in a great player.

Rob:
Well then you know what to expect I would do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version