Author Topic: Tendonitis  (Read 1456 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Tendonitis
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:10:46 PM »
Luke, a guitarplayer friend has tendonitis. Someone just told me that jello cures it.
He said that it worked real fast for him.
Anyone else ever try this?
What other solutions are there? ???

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:20:41 PM »
I'm no expert, but I've never heard that about Jell-o, and it sounds absurd to me .  I've heard about completely avoiding the activity that causes the problem.  Time for him to do serious Internet research and IMMEDIATELY see a doctor.  It's nothing to fool with.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:52:01 PM »
Good advice. Thanks!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:57:39 PM »
I've been dealing with my left arm/hand going numb at least once a set lately.  It sucks getting old...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 12:40:17 AM »
i had a 90 degree  dislocation on my left wrist about 10 years ago.after surgery with 4 pins for 8 weeks.i still have limited range and if i play for too long it hurts. when i play guitar my thumb goes numb after about an hour of playing.a few months ago i was playing guitar in a band and after the first few practices it would stay numb for like a day or so,but after a few months of playing it would stay numb less and less.it never happens playing bass.must be something to do with chords.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 06:02:16 AM »
Although you are using pretty much the same muscles to chord as you do to play bass, you are hitting those muscles  from a different angle and using them a a little differently. Chording does tend to wear you down more. I get stiffness playing guitar that I don't get playing bass .
Rick

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 07:36:55 AM »
I have it and have gone to a doctor. Its nerve damage from repetitive movement. Stop doing it makes it better. Less computer bass & anything else that irritates it. Wearing wrist braces at night really helps.  Certain stretches help as well. No herbal or crazy thing is going to repair nerve damage. Surgery is supposed to help with great success.

Mine is under control now but still get flare ups.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »
.........It sucks getting old...

Amen!

I have inflamation of my right rotator cuff that causes the last three fingers of my right hand to go numb - along with shooting pain in my shoulder and agravating pain in my elbow and wrist.   >:( >:(  All part of the same deal - over use and age says the orthopedic :sad:  So I work smart and don't push myself.  Anti imflamatories help but destroy my stomach and the cortisone shots help as well but are as painful as hell on earth :o :o

Will someone please pass te Geritol ;D 

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »
Gweimer

I had the left hand numbness thing happening for a few years.  I think it was caused by the fat neck on an acoustic bass that I used to play sitting down in the couch.

Sold the bass--it went away.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 06:44:15 PM »
I fought tendonitis in my right Achilles' tendon for 10 years before getting it to subside.  If I hadn't kept playing softball for a year after it began, I wouldn't have suffered so long.  It's definitely worth dealing with BEFORE it becomes chronic - because it easily can become chronic and never stop.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 06:38:12 PM »
Thanks for all your comments.

The guy ain't old, he's in his 20s but just loves to play.
Guess he's gonna have to take a break.
His band is recording soon tho...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:06:58 PM »
I second the go-see-a-doctor suggestion.  Its worth it in the long run.

I had carpal tunnel symptoms set into both hands in my early 30s, and struggled with it for a couple years.  It shares a lot of the same symptoms and early treatments as tendinitis.  By the time I finally got it checked out, mine had progressed beyond the preventative treatments.  The naproxen, cortisone shots in the hands, and wearing wrist braces while sleeping all helped to some extent, but it finally took surgery to nip it in the bud. 

I guess that one good thing to come out of it for me was a unexpected love of short scale basses!  Other than that, it pretty much sucked.  Hope your friend gets better soon.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 05:00:37 AM »
I have heard nothing but great things about the surgery. Not as great for Ulnar nerve surgery though. They relocate the nerve in your elbows/arms

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »
Trust me in this - orthopedic surgery is painful - I know >:(  Been there done that - I'm try everything possible to avoid the knife again.

My mom had open carpal tunnel - she recovered pretty quick and it was a success - fair amount of pain though.  My brother had the endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery and he recovered very quickly with much less pain.

See the doc early and follow their instructions.