Author Topic: Fav Harp Players  (Read 4028 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: Fav Harp Players
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 03:56:09 AM »
Joe Satriani is BADASS on harp on 2 of my fav tracks of his:

Big Bad Moon:

The Extremist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c29PI3mDnwY&feature=PlayList&p=F259C986D218DFA5&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 10:34:57 AM »
ok, let's cut the crap. sonny boy williamson. (the real one) also the late, great lester butler of the red devils and the late, great richard newell, aka king biscuit boy. :)

You forgot Little Walter, first and greatest amplified harp, they say he could play Charlie Parker lines by ear just by listening to the juke box. I don't know if that's true or legend but he was right up there with Sonny Boy who was king of unamplified harp.
Big Walter was also great.

nofi

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 07:10:20 AM »
i'm not sure i understand the amplified statement. do you mean using an amp as opposed to blowing through the p.a. ???

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 10:25:26 AM »
Yeah, he used the amp as a big part of his sound as guitarists and some bassists do. Sonny boy played through the PA and got a clean sound, Little Walter used all sorts of effects including tube distortion. Listen to early muddy Waters, a lot of it was Little Walter. Big big sound. I think Sonny boy and Little Walter are the big two at least according to most harp players I know. There was a book out about him a few years ago. Junior Wells was another great one, Muddy's band was a breeding ground for great amplified harp players.

http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/muddyharp.htm

nofi

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »
got it. earlier in this thread i mentioned lester butler and richard newell as excellent players of the modern era. i would like to add william clarke to that list. shame that all three died way too soon. :sad:

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »
Little Walter, Magic Dick, Sonny Boy (Rice Miller) Williamson, Junior Wells.  Keith Relf was pretty good for only having one lung.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.