Author Topic: Couldn't resist a 15"...  (Read 2501 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Couldn't resist a 15"...
« on: August 29, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »
So I couldn't resist this for $50:  http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/2496336786.html

Will pick it up Friday.  I know, I know, I dearly love toting around my lightweight single 12" G-B Neo and my G-B Neo 2x10, but at 65 pounds for a 15" cab, I thought that for $50 I'd play with it.  I'm thinking that the sound of that 2x10 on top of the single 15 should be sweeeeeeeet.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: Couldn't resist a 15"...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »
Looks like a real score! Can't beat that price.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:12:53 PM »
did it 'fall off the back of a truck'? i think that cab is rated at 250 watts, not 150. i'm sure someone will correct me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:23:30 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »
did it 'fall off the back of a truck'? i think that cab is rated at 250 watts, not 150. i'm sure someone will correct me.

I checked the street address before I called and it's at a place that deals in used electronics, but more computer stuff than anything else.  Must be a story behind it...I will ask. Single 15's aren't usually very expensive used, but Genz gear is usually a good bit higher

The G-B website rates it 250W RMS, so their error might be to my advantage.  It ought to be safe with my Shuttle 6.0, rated 375W peak into 8 ohm.  Peak and RMS are quite different, and I don't ever need to crank it up much. http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1427&sid=631&cid=118

I'll take a head and bass to try it out...we'll be stopping off on our way up to Breckenridge for a few days of R&R, and the cab will easily fit into the back end of the SUV we're driving.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:44:58 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:30:25 AM »
Good hunting... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
score
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »
I have that same cab, it has served me well. I'd love to get another to match it.
You got a great deat, paid $100 for mine.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 08:08:02 AM »
Nice score ! I always have 15s in the rig :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:34:33 AM »
Well, I got it - and for $50.  Cabinet is in decent shape, shows some wear but isn't torn up or beaten.  I took a bass, instrument cable and amp, but like a dummy I forgot to take a cable from amp to speaker, so I couldn't test drive it before getting it.

Oh, well - I only have $50 at risk, and they did say they had tested it and it worked.  The place is R2 Electronics Recycling in Denver - most of what they have is computer-related, but this showed up.  I'm guessing they just plugged in a stereo and played music through it, which is quite different from pushing a bass guitar...so I'm not sure the speaker is good.  

But if it works, I got a great buy - if it doesn't, the only thing that could be wrong with it is the speaker, and that's replaceable - it would just result in it not being such a great buy.  

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 08:20:52 PM »
I'll have to check for early models of this cab... I just found that it's labeled for 150 W, so they listed it accurately as per the labelin g.

In any case, it sounds great! Got it home, hooked it up and it works. Sounds like a 15 ought to.

I'm not real worried about the 150 W spec, as I have never had to turn my Shuttle 6.0 volume up more than one-third.

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 08:26:11 PM »

I'm not real worried about the 150 W spec, as I have never had to turn my Shuttle 6.0 volume up more than one-third.

You need to worry about too little power, not too much (in moderation).
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »
You need to worry about too little power, not too much (in moderation).

I think I understand, but feel free to explain further...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:51:14 AM »
You need to worry about too little power.

With most amps post mid 1980's, this isn't an issue either as s/s had been refined to the point that the dreaded 'DC to the output' scenario never happens. Underpowered amps usually just run out of clean volume. Blown drivers happen because of unrealistic low end expectations and port tunings. If a cabinet has a 10 dB down point at 40Hz, boosting anything below 100Hz more than 10 dB with shelving active eq (the most common) is going to cook the driver because the the coil is acoustically unloaded and without air movement to disperse the heat buildup, the voice coil burns.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 05:00:56 AM »
Yeah, things are different these days. Blowing a speaker with too little power was once unimaginable. It was always too much juice that got you in trouble ;D
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
Just by being connected, the 15 gives me plenty of low end through the G-B Shuttle 6.0 (as I imagine Rahock can attest) - no need to boost it.  Combine that with moderate volume and I don't think I have much to worry about.