Author Topic: I dood it!  (Read 2603 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I dood it!
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:57:17 AM »
I've been playing aroundwith the idea of selling one of my twin 12T Shuttle speakers.  I bought the Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 combo last winter, and I bought an extra 12T speaker with it...same speaker that the amp mounts on.

But my favorite music store got a G-B 2x10 cab in...not much more $ than the single 12, and I test drove it three or four times.  I heard a bit more fullness and depth from it.

So last night I bought the 2x10, took it home, and dropped off my spare 12" on consignment.  Now I have a nice mini-stack.  The 12 is a perfect fit on top of the 2x10, and each piece (combo and 2x10) weighs about 36 pounds.  It's a snap to move around, and with both speakers connected for a 4 ohm load, I have 600W on tap.

Just the overkill I want for a short gig next Friday!  The result:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: I dood it!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »
(sniff-sniff) do I small gas...?

I thought the idea was to lighten the load and ease the back issues...? ;)

Well... I suppose it's still little(er) packages...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Yes, there is a difference in weight; the 1x12 lists at 27 pounds and the 2x10 lists at 37 pounds.  But the difference is not substantial enough to be a problem, and when I can tote each as a separate load, even my recently cranky back isn't complaining.  I actually did some test-lifting with the new cab.

And I do have a folding hand truck.  

Think you smell GAS?  Hmmm....I did have two burritos for dinner last night.    ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
Nice rig man!  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
Nice rig man!  ;D

Gracias.  It will be my big Christmas present (although selling the 12T cab will pay for most of it) I didn't want to wait because I have a gig on Friday the 10th.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »
I've owned several Genz heads & cabs over the years. Always great stuff (and they are local if I have any problems). Haven't used any of the light weight stuff yet, but there is always time.  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
Great rig, congrats!
I have an old GB 1x15 cab that I really like and I am waiting to get my hands on their new Streamliner amp. If it is everything I hope it is I guess I'll be buying a new amp next year. :D

Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

fealach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 10:40:17 PM »
Great rig, congrats!
I have an old GB 1x15 cab that I really like and I am waiting to get my hands on their new Streamliner amp. If it is everything I hope it is I guess I'll be buying a new amp next year. :D

I like what I'm reading so far, and I haven't met a Genz bass product I didn't like.  Haven't tried the current lightweights, I'm still totally happy with my NeoPak.  It's nice that they're trying to please those of us who like the classic rock tones with the new amp.  I don't think it does  2 Ohms though, but I guess that matter to too many amp shoppers these days.  I may not use it often, but I like to know it's there if I want it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 01:46:13 PM »
Very cool rig!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
One thing I really like about the G-B shuttles is the 12AX7 tube preamp.  By dialing up the preamp gain you can get a fairly tube-like sound.  With the gain down the amps are very clean sounding.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »
Thought I'd drop in a quick report after playing an opening gig last Friday night.  I took the G-B mini-stack and was very happy with the sound.  I kicked in the LF (low frequency) boost, and the 2x10 definitely took advantage of it to generate a bit fuller sound than the single 12 could. I didn't have to tweak the EQ otherwise.  The preamp gain was up full and the preamp volume at 95%.  Plenty of warm, deep sound, and that tube preamp gives it nice character.

I only had the tweeters on the 12" and 2x10 turned on to 25%, because I didn't want more brightness than that.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »
What are these tweeters you speak of?   :P

Nice setup.  Might have to try one of these hernia-free rigs someday...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
What are these tweeters you speak of?   :P

I also consider tweeters to be a highly optional item in a bass cab.  Howsomever.......

If you check the photos of each on the G-B site, you'll see a tweeter in the top right corner (as you view it) of each photo:

http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2352&sid=617&cid=96
http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2353&sid=617&cid=96

There's a pot on the back of each cab that lets you dial in the level for the tweeter.  I'm not a big fan of them, but after some experimentation I run the level at about 25%.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 04:57:21 AM »
I was never a fan of tweeters in a bass cab either but I have learned to appreciate them , particularly in a cab with neo speakers. The neos a very bottomy , which I like, but the tweeter allows you to add a bit of crisp bite when you want it. About 25% is about the maximum volume my tweeter sees too. I like the sound at that level and it minimizes my fear of blowing the sucker up.
The new GK 37lb 500watt combo with 2 12" neos has a tweeter also , but rather than a volume control , it has an on/off switch. I'm dying to get my hands on one of these things , but I'd really rather see a volume control than a switch.
Rick